Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission "Check Transmission" alert

dclewerke
01-03-2004, 02:12 AM
The "check Transmission" alert comes on after about 90 - 100 miles. I had it checked out on the computer at our local Ford garage. The serviced the transmission and everything checks out good. It work fine and shifts beautifully. Is it something to worry about, and has anyone out there had the same problem and solution. Thanks for the help.

STINKINLINCOLN
04-21-2004, 07:33 PM
What year is your Lincoln ??

Towncar
04-21-2004, 08:31 PM

Looks like he's driving a 1999... there's another recent thread with a 1999 transmission problem.

It seems to me that garage that shut off the "check..." light should have been able to read the code(s) that set off the light to begin with.

Was there any indication on your shop repair order as to what set off the light ?

dclewerke
04-22-2004, 12:04 AM
My lincoln is a 1999. I had it checked out and the garage told me it was a torque converter clutch. It will come on at sporatic times. Sometimes within 40 miles and then sometimes not for 200 miles. Doesn't seem to have a routine. The tranny seems to work fine. Do you guys think it is a problem to be worried about? I plan to trade it off before the end of the year, about another 5-6,000 miles. The car has a little over 100,000 miles.
Thanks for the input.

Towncar
04-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Doesn't seem to have a routine..... Do you guys think it is a problem to be worried about?

Yah, you'd better worry a bit! I'm not saying that you won't make it 6000 miles, but by that time you may have a real problem.

Try this, it's worked on this and other transmission problems. Get yourself 2 (10oz) bottles of Lubegard Transmission Treatment (red bottle) (http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html).

Check your fluid level first, make some room by draining a bit if necessary (suction gun down the dipstick tube works), then add both bottles (20oz) to the trans fluid. Lubegard Transmission Treatment (http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html) will free sticky valves, and work a few other miracles as well.

Don't be fooled into buying any other transmission additive, Lubegard (red bottle) (http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html) is the only one that lives up to it's reputation.

dclewerke
04-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks a bunch. I will definitely give it a try and let you know the results.

Lousylincoln
01-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I also have a 1999 Lincoln Continental, I have owned it approximately 3 years, I pruchased the car with 7K miles and at 89K the tranny light came on, the local transmission shop replaced the valve body and it ran OK for 400 miles, cost $843.00 then the light came on again. On both occasions it seems to have difficulty going from 2nd to 3rd. I also had problems with oil in the spark plug wells, this cost me approximately $550.00, now I have leak on the right side of the car (engine oil) which I am told is due to worn O-rings on the oil filter stem-something?? all of this within 5-week period.

Linkspider
01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
at 89000 miles my check transmission light came on as well but only after I have done about 50 miles at which point the car will judder when pulling away.

I can turn the car of for 10 mins and it will be fine for another 50 miles, its something that must get hot after about 40-50 miles.

The car drives like a dream other than that until I have driven about 50 miles.

I replaced the torque convertor and it made no difference, I took it to Lincoln garage outlet for a diagnostic check, they kept my car for 3-days then stated they could not get a code reading and its the transmission body something and I was better of replacing the whole transmission, they wanted $2700 to fix it, they seemed a little pissed that I said "no I will come and pick the car up."

The second I drove my car of the Lincoln lot the Check Engine Light came on and the car drove like shit hesitating all the way home, I think Lincoln f-ed something up because the car did not act like that before I took it to them, this time the Check Engine Light came on. Check this out I just took my Lincoln to another garage and they checked the vehicle on a computer which now showed a transmission failure code they then checked the fluid the friggin Lincoln dealer had put hardly any transmission fluid back in my car, the garage told me that if I had taken it back to the Lincoln garage they would have hooked it back up to a computer which off course the reading would have show transmission problem now and then tried to sell me the whole tranny again. A-holes put low fluid in on purpose to get me to come back!

The whole thing isdriving me nuts I have spoken to about 4 mechanics and they all state its something different, and I still have th eproblem at long distances.

MSTWENDLE
02-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I have a 2000 Lincoln Continental and have experienced similar problems. I purchased it with 75K miles and around 95K miles the check transmission light came on.

I took it to a transmission shop and they tried to get me to leave it with them saying if i continue to drive it it could end up costing me $3600 in transmission repairs. I walked out since prior to taking it in i did some research, 1. A rebuilt transmission from ford was going to cost me $2200 or 2. I could get one ordered from my autoparts store for $1100 and have a local mechanic put it in for $280 in labor.

I kept driving it... now at 162K miles nothing has changed, still get the check transmission light to pop on from time to time when driving around 30 miles or so. I did take it back to the transmission shop to have them read the code. Came back as the Torque converter solenoid which they had to get from the dealership. Cost me $696.42 when all was said and done. Drove into work this morning after the transmission work was done and sure enough BAM the check transmission light came on after about 20 miles. Called the technician who worked on it, he said it could be a shift solenoid that locks in place when driving to extended distances to conserve on fuel and if thats the case the only issue would be my gas millage will be affected. Im taking it back today but as far as putting anymore money into "Fixing" the light issue I will probably go another 60K miles before i attempt that again. :banghead:

patarusky
05-16-2011, 03:17 AM
Hello- I too have had that same message come up in my 99 Continental. I can drive around town all day no problem but get up in the mountains or 75 on the interstate and it comes on. I reset and it comes back in 15 to 20 minutes. Of course it works fine, shifts fine, downshifts etc.. I had the tranny serviced and fluid changed. The tech said the fluid was really dark indicating the tranny had/is getting hot. At one point I had "Transmission Overheat" come on as well as "Check Transmission". That's why I had it serviced. He told me that Lincoln had a problem with the tranny cooler in the stock radiator getting plugged up and the lower tranny cooler ( that's also the power steering cooler) down in front of the car going bad too. He said I should change the radiator and add another cooler to the system. Has anyone done that yet? It seems that might be a lot of work for nothing but still cheaper than a transmission. Suggestions?

willdong
08-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys for your info.
I have a 2000 continental and have the same problem,got the p1744 code after the car been hot. I have tried a lot of to solve it(change fluid & filter, change the transmission radiator), from your info and mine. I can make sure most of such "Check the transmmission" warning comes from the overheat of the transmission, maybe the PCM detected the overheat or the overheating makes the fluid or mechanical failure and makes the transmission works in protection mode(it will start jerking or slipping).
My car always goes well when it is cool, it can goes over 20 miles and get no warning before I changed the radiator, after changed, it can goes over 50 mile with 2 passengers and no warning, but if full loaded with 5 passengers, it will get a warning within 10 miles, and it depands on the temprature too. Sometimes the service engine soon light will on, but after driving it 2 or 3 times near my home, the light will goes off automatically. I think maybe I need a bigger radiator for this transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!