Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

running out of paint

David_
01-03-2004, 12:00 AM
ok, if i was painting a model, using the can a second time, and i run out.

do i continue painting after i buy new can (old paint would have dried)

or do i strip it all and start again?

(assuming the paint is only on one side, or on front bumper only)

edit: how thick should i lay on primer? about 2 coats? three coats? or just a light covering?, and how long should a can of primer last (tamiya)... alot longer than the sprays?

ShOrtyOC714
01-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Look in the FAQ, shows you everything in there about how to spray primer and so on... :smile:

David_
01-03-2004, 06:45 AM
yea.... doesn't tell me what to do in case i run out of paint, i looked there...

simdel1
01-03-2004, 01:05 PM
if you just about managed to get a full coat before it packed up then you should be ok. but if there is a deffinate place where you can say "thats where its ended, look its a totally different colour" then it might be worth while stripping and starting again. of course its also worth sanding the old coat a bit before you apply the new....

erm, in my slightly drunken state though i would wait for some replies from more experienced modelers before you follow mine...

----------------
simon, in portugal on holiday

SonyMobile
01-03-2004, 01:44 PM
If its a light coat, you should be able to just paint the whole thing over the old coat with the new can, but if it is a relatively heavy coat i would suggest stripping or sanding the paint off, but just try painting over the old stuff first

David_
01-03-2004, 09:36 PM
oh ok, thanks for the help...

and also, i heard that caustic soda won't remove lacquer (automotive paint) is that true? coz my lhs said it'd remove any paint... so im confused.....

Add your comment to this topic!