Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Reshuffling

kfoote
01-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Which of these chassis/engine combinations would you like to see? Only limits are engine had to be available from the chassis manufacturer, no cost limits, and somewhat realistic expectations for weight and size of the engine in the chassis (sorry, no Cummins Turbodiesels in your Dodge Omni). Other suggestions are encouraged.

MustangRoadRacer
01-02-2004, 04:10 PM
looks like porshce would be nice.

syr74
01-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Actually, I would like to see an old Lotus (Ford) Cortina MkI with a turbo four out of an older Esprit in it. The utlimate Lotus Cortina indeed. I would gladly settle for a TT V-8 out of the newer Esprit, but I doubt it would fit.

B.T.W., the 4.6L supercharged V-8 in a Focus has been done. A Focus RS with a DOHC 5.0L Ford crate motor in it will be at NAIAS on the fourth of January (this Sunday)

Their is a rwd conversion kit for sale that both of these cars use by (I believe) Kugel components. Apparently the conversion is fairly straightforward and a bolt-in affair.

kfoote
01-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Cool, I like the Esprit/Cortina idea.

I didn't know the Focus 4.6 V8 had been done, but I figured it was only a matter of time before it was. I think the 5.0 has ended up in more chassis than just about any other engine, and sooner or later the 4.6 will likely catch up.

syr74
01-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Yeah, they put an 03 Cobra crate motor in a Focus wagon. Now there is a wagon I could get used to.

You do lose the IRS, but I think I could get over it.

Moppie
01-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Well the Rotory Miata/MX5 has been done, as has the Datsun and I know in Ausie there is a FJ20 powered Justie being built.

The V6 into the S2000 would be interesting, making it fit would be difficult width ways, and I dont know what it would do for the weight distrubution.

And Im liking the V12 into the M6.

A Lotus Cortina would most likely take more easily to the V8 than it would to the Slant 4.
The V8 is a VERY compact engine, about the same size as a Rover V8, which with the right work will fit.
The Lotus Slant 4 is I believe a little longer and it would be a sqeueze making it fit with the Turbo into the short Cortina engine bay.

Mr Payne
01-06-2004, 03:26 AM
That Porsche one is pretty sweet, ditto with the Focus.......that would be the ultimate sleeper.

Add your comment to this topic!