Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 VW Speedometer & Cruise Control

fgrayaz
01-01-2004, 02:14 AM
My daughters 98 Beetle has a problem at about 65mph the speedometer starts bouncing around between 60 and 70 (even if we continue to increase the speed to over 80. Obviously when we engage the cruise control it goes crazy in a similar fashion. The car sat at the dealer for almost a month they claim they can't see anything wrong at low speeds and aren't allow to test drive at high speeds.

From what I have read it is probably the instrument cluster, which would be easy enough to replace (although I don't know how I would set the odometer assuming I could find a new one). Or the speed sensor, which is less expensive but I havent been able to physically find on the car.

One of the problems she has with the car is that the only indications on the speedometer or in 10 MPH increments (nothing at 5 15 etc except at 55). So I am thinking I should replace the cluster first and at least get one that has better markings. I am guessing I have to buy that from a dealer as an internet search turns up only unknown status used ones on ebay.

This is a 2.0L 1998 VW beetle with about 36k miles on it. Anybody have any similar experience or recommendations. Thanks.

pedrog
06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I'm sure that this is a bit late for you but...

I had the same problem before my speedo failed a few weeks ago. Dealer said it was a bad bearing in the speedo assembly at the transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!