Help,how do i Reset check engine light in `97 Jetta.

staged67gspwr
12-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Hi,i am a new member and i just recently bought a `97 Jetta with 2.0 engine,i was wondering how do i reset the check engine light to go off,any help appreciated,car runs excellent and passed emissions and inspection.

Thanks
George

staged67gspwr
01-01-2004, 05:19 PM
come on guys no one knows?

boschmann
01-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Around here if the light is on you fail emission inspection. If the light is on, there's a problem. Most auto repair shops can check the codes to see what the problem is. Ususally even if you have someone with a scan tool turn off the light (clear the codes) without fixing the problem, it will probably come back on again later.

staged67gspwr
01-02-2004, 07:46 AM
well this did pass emissions inspection and the car runs excellent,maybe there was a problem with it at some point and it was repaired and they just did not reset the system thats why i`m asking how do i reset it?

Thanks

miro1118
01-02-2004, 11:10 AM
I believe on cars with OBDII (which is what jettas have after 96) you need a diagnostic tool to reset the code. Not worth buying. Many here have used autozone. My jetta passed inspection like a charm even though the check engine was on. Mine needs O2 sensors so the code was valid. What I am trying to say is that just because you pass inspection it does not mean that nothing is wrong. These cars when running right should be at the bottom of the allowed pollution range. Some states will not pass a car with the check engine light on. You can try to reset it but if it comes back on you know there is still a problem. Whoever resets it for you will also read the codes and tell you what to look for. I am sure that there are many of us who just deal with the light its a cronic problem in these cars(Most get used to it glowing or pull the dash apart and use a black marker to permanently shut it off)

staged67gspwr
01-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Cool thanks alot.

George

Add your comment to this topic!