Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Buick LeSabre won't move until warmed up

Tom Cat
12-31-2003, 04:55 PM
I put the transmission in any gear and the car does not move until it is warmed up. After that it drives great in [D]. If I put it in the D with the box (overdrive), I make a stop at a stop sign and it does not move until I put it in d1. Then it is ok again. If I drive with the shifter in just D, It will go everywhere. I stopped by the local AAMCO dealer and when I explained the problem, 2 mechanics said at the same time speed sensor. I went and got a speed sensor and installed it and it did not help. I had an auto parts store hook up a scanner to the computer, early OBD II, and it came up with a link error. Engine check light is off. Car has 180,000 + miles. Any Ideas?

Tom Cat
01-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Any Ideas?

RABarrett
01-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Two possibilities: one is that the scanner was not compatible with the system; two is that there are no problems with the vehicle that are computer related. The scanner allows the reading of codes set by the computer; they are signalled by illuminating the SEs light, which you did not mention being on. I suspect a hydraulic(transfluid control) issue. Check the fluid level and condition. Make sure it is full with a level vehicle, at operating temp, a five mile drive is sufficient, and have the engine idling, in park, and set the parking brake. The fluid should be full, and be between the add and full marks. The fluid should be red in color, and feel slippery to the touch. It should not smell burned. Dark, gritty, or brown coloring indicates fluid requiring changing, but be aware that this condition typically indicates internal problems such as slippage or overheating from shear. Ray

Tom Cat
02-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks Ray, I will check it out. Once it goes into gear it works perfectly, shifts great. The car is covered with snow right now, so I will work on it when it gets warmer out. Thanks agn.

pakers
02-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I put the transmission in any gear and the car does not move until it is warmed up. After that it drives great in [D]. If I put it in the D with the box (overdrive), I make a stop at a stop sign and it does not move until I put it in d1. Then it is ok again. If I drive with the shifter in just D, It will go everywhere. I stopped by the local AAMCO dealer and when I explained the problem, 2 mechanics said at the same time speed sensor. I went and got a speed sensor and installed it and it did not help. I had an auto parts store hook up a scanner to the computer, early OBD II, and it came up with a link error. Engine check light is off. Car has 180,000 + miles. Any Ideas?
I just purchased a 1993 with 87,000. Have the same problem.
the trans oil smells burnt so I plan to replace this weekend. will
let you know if this changes the problem. I have the sense that
the brakes are not releasing after I take my foot off the brake
after I move the trans into Drive.

FallenFast1
02-21-2004, 11:11 AM
My 91 did that when i first got it,i added some lucus trans additve to it and within a day or so it stopped slipping altogather. Good luck changing the burnt fluid,i heard they slip extra bad after fresh is put in after burning the old fluid.

Add your comment to this topic!