Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cruise Control Problems

mstngcobrasvt98
12-31-2003, 04:01 PM
I've searched on this and i'm just posting to confirm. My cruise control coesn't work at all. On/Off doesn't turn it on. I hooked it up to a computer diagnostic system thing and no code came up. As far as me and a close auto mechanic can tell, everything is hooked up where it needs to be. So, im gonna try a new cruise control unit. How much does a new/used one run? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

RABarrett
12-31-2003, 04:25 PM
Whatever it costs, it will be more expensive than repairing the original. A good tech can repair what ails these units, whether they set codes or not. Food for thought. Ray

ottoracefan
12-31-2003, 05:57 PM
So, im gonna try a new cruise control unit. How much does a new/used one run? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If you're talking about replacing the cruise control servo unit under the hood which contains most of the cruise control components, I've bought and installed 3 of these on various GM cars. Paid $30-40 for each at salvage yards, it fixed each car, and they were all still working when the cars were sold/traded.

Check http://www.car-part.com/ if you don't find it locally.

mstngcobrasvt98
12-31-2003, 07:19 PM
what about just the control level on the steering column?

ottoracefan
01-01-2004, 09:03 AM
what about just the control level on the steering column?

You should be able to check the column switch for the cruise control with an ohm meter. The servo under the hood can usually be switched in a few minutes - - any chance you know someone with a similar car you could swap servos with so you would know if that part is good?

mstngcobrasvt98
01-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I dont know anyone right off hand with a LeSabre i can ask to borrow this part. I'll try to check the column switch. Are there certain wires I need to check? I'm only 17 and need a cheap fix. No mechanics if possible. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!