Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Modelling Tip: Tinted Windows

Q-DawgVFR
12-30-2003, 03:39 PM
:smokin: I'm new to your forum, but want to share my favorite modelling tip with you all, as simple as it might be. To create very realistic tinted windows, I've been using lenses from various cheap sunglasses, safety glasses, goggles, and cheap toys with smoked windows, etc. and cutting to fit inside model car bodies. For flat contoured windows, electronic devices with tinted displays such as old, non-working VCR and stereo components make excellent donors. The only issue I seem to run into is not having the right size or shape materials to do large, convex windows (such as the rear hatch glass on a modern Corvette.) so I usually apply this technique to cars with simpler windows only. Thats it! Hopefully this is usefull to some of you other tuner and custom car builders out there.

dag65
12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
GOod idea. I bet you could heat the plastic up and bend it to whatever shape you need.

blueboost
12-30-2003, 04:55 PM
nice!

has anyone ever tried actual window tint? can't imagine it would be too expensive for a small 1x1 sheet. :dunno:

Q-DawgVFR
12-30-2003, 08:06 PM
nice!

has anyone ever tried actual window tint? can't imagine it would be too expensive for a small 1x1 sheet. :dunno:

:disappoin That was what I tried to do the first times I tinted windows. It works, but to a limited degree. I had a lot of trouble forming the tint over the back window of a car- too complex of a curve and the film was too thick to stretch properly. I ended up supergluing the (unexposed part) edges of the window down to hold tint in place. If thinner films can be found, I think they would work much better. Basically as long as there is not too much curvature (in more than one direction) to the part, it works OK. I still think both are superior alternatives to spray-on tint. A third method (which duplicates the very slightly tinted blue-green of automotive glass) is to mix a batch of fabric dye (very concentrated) and heat up on stove to a simmering temp. You then submerge the part completely in the hot dye using the appropriate holding device. After 20 seconds, inspect the clear part. You may need to dip several times to get the desired tint. Do this at your own risk though, because if your plastic gets too hot, it will warp. Try with scraps until you get the hang of it.

chrismcgee
12-30-2003, 09:41 PM
i always use real tint film. it takes some getting used to. for a start people fall down at the first hurdle. i wlll share my knowlege in a few simple steps.

1: make sure that you make the piece of tint film larger than the area needed.

2: make a solution of baby shampoo or washing up liquid (baby shampoo is better) and lightly mist it on with a spray mister, dipping wont let enough stick.

3: apply the tint film and start pressing from the centre outwards.

4: keep applying pressure and heat from a hairdryer to remove any excess water.

5: continue heating whilst not warping the glass.

6: trim off all un needed tint film.

its the only way to get a decent look, and to do a rear screen only tint the outer facing part as the little lines in the back just create bubbles

Hiroboy
12-31-2003, 04:12 AM
i always use real tint film. it takes some getting used to. for a start people fall down at the first hurdle. i wlll share my knowlege in a few simple steps.

1: make sure that you make the piece of tint film larger than the area needed.

2: make a solution of baby shampoo or washing up liquid (baby shampoo is better) and lightly mist it on with a spray mister, dipping wont let enough stick.

3: apply the tint film and start pressing from the centre outwards.

4: keep applying pressure and heat from a hairdryer to remove any excess water.

5: continue heating whilst not warping the glass.

6: trim off all un needed tint film.

its the only way to get a decent look, and to do a rear screen only tint the outer facing part as the little lines in the back just create bubbles

Thanks for that Chris, as I needed to know, as the FTO need tinting all around.

chrismcgee
12-31-2003, 08:18 AM
if you want any tint film i will post some to you as my mate owns a large tinting company and gives me whatever i want, he is also the importer for the film so i get super cheap tinting! he did my whole lexus for cost! normaly he charges £350+
he is gonna do my mr2 for about £50 which should smarten it up a bit. i have loads of 80% tint

Fastphil
01-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Here's my how-to on tinting windows with real tint film.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1351338&postcount=19

David_
01-02-2004, 07:58 AM
do you spray the baby shampoo solution on the glass, the tint sticker, or on your fingers while pressing down the sticker? (i know it sounds stupid, but i really don't nkow)

chrismcgee
01-02-2004, 08:17 AM
i spray the weak water/baby shampoo solution onto the sticky side of the film and the glass.

David_
01-02-2004, 08:25 AM
if i do get bubles, i can just rip it all off right? its not like... tranferant?

chrismcgee
01-02-2004, 08:43 AM
just push the bubbles out. yes you can rip it off

Add your comment to this topic!