Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cracked exhaust manifold

cygnus
12-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Have a 99 Wrangler that the dealer wants to charge $1200 to replace a cracked exhaust manifold. Have heard this is a problem, the cracking. Extended warrenty will not cover. Have also heard that Jeep has their dealers lookaing at the manifold at the 30,000 mile check, if its cracked they replace it, if not they do and say nothing. Anyone run into this issue and has anyone been able to get this taken care of on Jeep???? Thanks for any input.

Roughian98TJ
12-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Most people who have cracked manifolds usually end just ditching the stock one and going to an aftermarket header. ie banks, borla, thorley, hooker or pacesetter. I'm a banks torque tube fan, it'll run you about $400 and a few hours with a wrench...and I know since you bought a Jeep you aren't afraid to use a wrench, I mean if you where that would be like blasfamy or something.

joe2106
01-01-2004, 05:15 PM
I also have a 99 TJ sport that had a cracked manifold when I purchased it at 40K miles. I quickly consulted the dealership and they said it would be a $1000 + repair job. I ended up buying a manifold from a salvage yard for like $150 and doing the job myself in an afternoon. Just remember where everything went. It looks much harder than it actually is. I ended up using my old manifold and welding up all the cracks. This pry isn't the best practice, but I'm at 78K with no cracks yet and it didn't cost me anything. I would look online at salvage yards for a manifold around $100, but most likley you will get one that is welded anyway.

Good luck!

Dan in KC
11-12-2004, 09:15 PM
I had this problem to on a 94. Took the manifold off had a muffller shop weld the crack. worked great for 2 years the the crack came back. It is about a half days work just getting it off (week-end mechanic). I would not waist time on welding it. buy a borla and do it right. might as well get the whole cat black exhuast system while your at it. Of course I say this and I have not fixed the second crack (money) that was about 120,000 miles ago. I have over 270,000 miles total.

4wheeldrive
11-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Has this cracked manifold caused any other problems? I'm looking at buying a '98 that is perfect in every other way, but it has the cracked manifold, should I be wary of other issues?

klebart
11-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Have a 99 Wrangler that the dealer wants to charge $1200 to replace a cracked exhaust manifold. Have heard this is a problem, the cracking. Extended warrenty will not cover. Have also heard that Jeep has their dealers lookaing at the manifold at the 30,000 mile check, if its cracked they replace it, if not they do and say nothing. Anyone run into this issue and has anyone been able to get this taken care of on Jeep???? Thanks for any input.At 70K my manifold cracked almost like clockwork on my 99. Seems like Jeep wanted to save in engine weight (rollovers and such) and made alot of the parts in Aluminium. I was able to get a new IRON/STEEL manifold for under 400. When you replace it remove everything from the TOP of the engine and slide these connections to the side. The drop the manifold into it's spot from above. Don't bother getting a junkyard manifold unless you want to replace it again.

goinbig
11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Have it welded if you want it done cheap. A good weld will hold up fine and shouldn't crack in that same spot again. I welded the manifold on my Jeep when it cracked and it has been fine for a very long time.

thunderstrike44
11-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Serious sugguestion here, Look on Ebay, they sell a Stainless Steel replacement for Wranglers that have expansion joints in them to fix this problem. I have a 91' which has a cracked manifold and got one of these for $112.00 and a $8.00 guasket from Autozone and a couple of hours you are in business. If you can afford a Blora Header then by all means its better, but I thought I would pipe in a cheaper alternative.

BR

wafrederick
12-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Get the cracks welded up.My father does that to them and so far has no problems so far

JeeperRich
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I've got a 98 Sahara at ~96k miles with no cracks in the exhaust manifold -- so you're not guaranteed to see problems. I'm replacing it with a Gibson header (to go with the cat-back already on) as part of other work I'm doing. I'd go with the aftermarket or salvage option (depending on budget) & do the work yourself -- I't somewhat of a pain to get the manifold off through the wiring, inlet, etc. but should take less than a day. The dealer's got to be making a killing on labor charges...

gtmud
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Go with the after market solution. If you were ready to spend $1200 at the dealer, you can get the whole Borla header and Cat back system for $1400. I installed this set-up on a friends CJ-7, sounds awesome, with a bunch more power. One word of advice, lookinto replacing the EGR tube that runs between the exhaust and intake, this will save you some time, and your knuckles. Borla's header is one hell of a creation, with a mating surface of over a 1/2" thick stainless steel, will not ever warp/ crack. In fact they are warrentied for this.

scoutsout
12-17-2004, 02:04 AM
I have a 95 I bought used at 58k. I bought an extended waranty all but bumper to bumper (best decision I ever made)LOL. When It was in the shop for a leaky radiator which they also covered. They noticed the cracked manifold and replaced it with a brand new stainles model. Under warranty. guess I got lucky. It was probably around 70k+miles. I'm now at 144k and havent had any problems.

Add your comment to this topic!