1997 Caravan Horn Doesn't sound

yankee2b
12-29-2003, 03:08 PM
1997 Caravan: Horn doesn't work. Occasionally, it will work for a day or 2, then quits. Changed relay and fuse, no luck. Coincidentally, the Cruise Control quit also, and the air bag light came on. All 3 items are located in the center module of the steering column!! I don't care about cruise control. I 1st want my horn back. Any suggestions?

hernandez3674
12-29-2003, 07:37 PM
There is a recall on the 97 caravan regarding the air bag clock spring. Im betting that this is your problem.

yankee2b
12-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanx. The air bag recall is something I definitly need to pursue. I bought this Caravan used, so I don't know who to contact. Maybe Chrysler? Or a nearby Dodge Dealer? I'll be makin some calls and will post my result, hopefully a good result. Thanx again.

yankee2b
12-30-2003, 03:25 PM
There is a recall on the 97 caravan regarding the air bag clock spring. Im betting that this is your problem.

I coulkd not find a recall for this clock spring. I did find a recall for the issuance of safety stickers for the visors. If you can steer me with more information, to the recall for clock spring, I would appreciate. Thanx

yankee2b
12-30-2003, 03:26 PM

I could not find a recall for this clock spring. I did find a recall for the issuance of safety stickers for the visors, regarding air bags. If you can steer me with more information, to the recall for clock spring, I would appreciate. Thanx

hernandez3674
12-30-2003, 04:14 PM
I could not find a recall for this clock spring. I did find a recall for the issuance of safety stickers for the visors, regarding air bags. If you can steer me with more information, to the recall for clock spring, I would appreciate. Thanx
Chrysler recalls about 500,000 minivans

Reuters / November 06, 2002

DETROIT - DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler unit is recalling about 500,000 minivans because of a possibly misplaced part that could cause the vehicles' airbags, horns or cruise control systems to fail, the automaker said on Wednesday.

A Chrysler spokeswoman said the minivans subject to the recall were from 1996-1998 model years and sold in the United States and Canada as well as overseas markets.

The vehicles were manufactured under the Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Grand Voyager, Voyager and Chrysler Town & Country nameplates, spokeswoman Angela Spencer Ford told Reuters.

She said Chrysler would also offer a lifetime warranty on the "clockspring" in an additional 1.3 minivans from the same 1996-1998 model years because the part -- which provides power to various components in the steering wheel -- may have been installed improperly.

If misplaced, the part could interfere with the driver's side airbag in the minivans, as well as normal operation of the horn and speed control. Only one accident, with injuries to a lone driver, has been linked to the misplaced auto part, Ford said.

Chrysler, which has made recent efforts to improve its quality and reputation among consumers, has announced three major recalls of its minivans so far this year.

In January, the automaker said it would begin repairing 1.3 million minivans built between 1996 and 2000 to fix a possible fuel leak linked to fires.

In April, Chrysler said it was recalling 545,000 minivans built between 1996 and October 1998 to fix a piece of sound insulation that could fall into the rear seat belt assembly.

************************************************** *************************************
Recalls Summary

Make: PLYMOUTH TRUCK
Model: VOYAGER
Year: 1996
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 02V293000

Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY MAY HAVE BEEN WOUND INCORRECTLY DURING THE VEHICLE ASSEMBLY PROCESS.
Consequence Summary:
THIS CONDITION WILL MANIFEST ITSELF THROUGH ILLUMINATION OF THE AIR BAG WARNING LAMP, AND COULD EVENTUALLY RESULT IN A DRIVER'S AIR BAG OPEN CIRCUIT, IF THE PART IS NOT REPLACED IN A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME.
Corrective Summary:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CLOCKSPRING ASSEMBLY ON ALL VEHICLES WITH 70,000 MILES OR LESS. AN EXTENDED LIFETIME WARRANTY WILL ALSO BE PLACED ON THIS COMPONENT FOR ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES, REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE. DAIMLERCHRYSLER WILL ALSO REIMBURSE OWNERS WHO HAVE PAID TO HAVE THE CLOCKSPRING REPLACED ON THEIR VEHICLES. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

yankee2b
12-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Mr. Hernandez-
Your information appears to hit the nail on the head. I will be calling Chrysler tomorrow. I had looked up recalls for this vehicle, and the one you have told me about wa not on the list! I don't know know why, but had I been notified by Chrysler, I would not be searching for answers. Thank you for your help. As soon as I have definitive response from Chrysler, I will post. Meanwhile I continue to appreciate the reponse.
What a country!

MegaMax
03-14-2004, 04:01 PM
I just wanted to bump this up to the top...

My Horn ,CC , and Airbag light (came on) all just went on my 97... I came here and found this..

Thanks to all and this site, i will not kill myself looking at this issue and just call the local dealer

MegaMax
03-15-2004, 10:28 AM
My update...
I took the Kids to school and well had nothing else to do so I went to my local dealer..
I didn't tell them what my issue was just asked to get the history on my van as i bought it used. The guy was very helpfull and looked up my VIN, I then asked if there were any recalls.. He said he would look and guess what.? He found two of them... He checked with service and they had an open bay so I left it there to get the work done to it...

Again this was all Thanks to AF and the people who post here. I was ready to spend all day working on this problem to get it fixed yesterday.

THANKS...

Add your comment to this topic!