Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 rodeo w/ CEL and check trans light flashing

lovescuba
12-29-2003, 01:33 PM
All of a sudden my 2000 Rodeo Check Engine Light came on and the check transmission light is flashing. According to the owners manual, when the check trans light is flashing, the transmission should be in a back-up mode, requiring it to be shifted manually. However everything is working fine, no problems noted. I have even gone into and out of winter and power modes and everything seems fine.

I had this problem about a year ago, but it was due to driving thru a very deep water puddle. The connection on the transmission control module was cracked and shorted out the TCM. $500 repair bill at the dealer!!

This time however a nice sun shinning day, no water, just driving down the freeway at 60 mph.

Any suggestions, short of paying the dealer to download the codes??

Thank's for any help, have read alot on CEL's but not anything on the trans light ??

johnsm
12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
I have the same problem and year. My problem started the day I bought my Rodeo. My gasket broke on my transmission drain plug. I had a little runaround trying to fix it. The leak got fixed but shortly after the codes were cleared the check trans/check engine light came on again. The car did not go into safe mode. I bought a obd 2 code reader and it read P1870, which is transmission component slippage. This morning I sent it in to the Isuzu dealer to get looked at (something I dread, when I can't send it in to my prefered mechanics). They called me back after 3 hrs and said they thought because I ran low on transmission fluid it screwed up the transmission sequences. They reset the sequences and test drove it. They charged me 1 hrs labor = $90.00. Total after tax 103 cdn.

as of 24 hrs later ever all is fine. This little hassle has made me Isuzu savvy. I bought a manual, obd2 code reader, digital multimeter, found 3 isuzu forums and read them daily. When I buy a stethascope shoot me.

John

rodeo02
12-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by johnsm: When I buy a stethascope shoot me.
You'll need one of these too when you hit 100Kmi!! (j/kiddding!) Could be worse, drive a blazer, explorer, durango & you need bandages too!
Joel

johnsm
01-03-2004, 04:11 PM
that was monday. Today is saturday and the check tranny/check engine light just came back on. Same code P1870-transmission component slippage. I wonder if having my car oil sprayed screwed up my tcm. some guy went nuts with gear oil.

johnsm
01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Its now tuesday. i went take the Rodeo back to Isuzu to have the check tranny light looked at. I start up the car and le voila the light doesn't come on anymore. I go past Isuzu and straight to work, collect $200 dollars. I must be because I'm getting religious.

John

Add your comment to this topic!