Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo idle problem (2000)

tzeri
12-29-2003, 09:42 AM
I have a 2000 Rodeo LS 4WD V6. A few weeks ago, I had a rough idle after getting off the highway. I put in neurtal at lights to keep it from stalling (not sure if it actually would have, but it was a very rough idle). Got to work and it all of a sudden seemed fine. It was fine for the next 3 weeks.

Got off the highway last night and had the rough idle again. I kept it going until I pulled into my driveway and then did not give it any gas to see what would happen and it died. I tried to restart--which it struggled to do (sounded like it was choking) but it did finally start. I turned it off and on again and it seemeds fine. Took to mechanic on way to work this a.m. and it was fine and he really didn't offer me much hope but to "keep driving it and see what it does." For a female who drives through a rough part of town to get to work, this is not very comforting.

Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

rodeo02
12-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a cracked intake manifold gasket. Super common on 1998+ isuzu 3.2/3.5. The IMG's are phenolic/plastic & poorly designed. This should be a freebie fix for you, covered by the powertrain warranty.
G/luck
Joel

tzeri
12-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a cracked intake manifold gasket. Super common on 1998+ isuzu 3.2/3.5. The IMG's are phenolic/plastic & poorly designed. This should be a freebie fix for you, covered by the powertrain warranty.
G/luck
Joel

Thanks, Joel!

Problem is, I am out of the warranty (3 years or 30,000 miles). How expensive is this fix? Also, would it be an intermittent problem if it were a cracked manifold? The idol is spot on, except for these two incidents.

rodeo02
12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Terry, are you sure about your warranty? on a 2000, your isuzu powertrain warranty is good for 10yrs/120Kmi for original owners or 5yrs/60Kmi for all subsequent owners. All engine gaskets & seals are covered by the powertrain warranty, so the IMG replacement is a freebie! You can call your VIN# into a dealer to verify this. If you had to pay to get it fixed, it's about a $200 job. G/luck!
Joel

lowsonoma1999
12-31-2003, 10:32 AM
I used to be a Parts Manager at an Isuzu dealership, and from what I experienced, the symptoms are similar to an intake gasket leak, except if the intake gaskets were leaking it wouldn't be intermittant, and 90% of the time you could hear a whistling sound from the air being sucked in. Is or has the check engine light been on???? We also used to put on a lot of EGR valves, and that could be an intermittant problem.

rodeo02
12-31-2003, 12:15 PM
That's true, EGR issues are the number 2 cause of this concern (EGR staying on at idle, low speeds). However it's almost never the EGR valve itself, but clogged EGR system plumbing. Carbon keeps the EGR valve pintle stuck open or causes it to react slow. Quite often you'll get a CEL/code from that though. G/luck
Joel

tzeri
01-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Well, it acted up again on Monday, but of course not for the mechanic and the computer revealed nothing. They said they were reasonably certain it was the EGR valve (80-85%--covering their butt, I'm sure), so I had them replace it and clean the intake, so time will tell. It has been 5 days, but I am not confident yet that it is fixed, but I am hopeful. Thanks for your help.

I need to dig deeper into the power train warrantly. I read somewhere that it was only good for original owners and family members, but I saw nothing about subsequent owners. It's definitly worth checking into!

Add your comment to this topic!