Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heresay or the real truth? Help!

fuzman
12-29-2003, 08:50 AM
HI all,

I have a friend, who advised me that when driving a brand new car, for the first 1000km, I should not drive above 100km/h as this will cause damage to the new engine. His logic being, new engines are not 'warmed up' yet and thus over-exertion at such an 'early' stage may shorten the lifespan of the engine in the long haul.

Any mechanics or automotive guru out there, willing to shed some light on the above matter?

Heresay, or truth? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

M Faizal A

indy_85stariones
01-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Although all dealerships will tell you everything is ready to roll...

When I purchase a new car
1) I never run engine faster than 4000 rpms.
2) I vary engine speed. I run first 50 miles no faster than 50 mph. I run the next 50 miles between 55-65 mph. I run the next 50 miles below 50 mph.
3) At 500 miles, I change the oil.
4) After 500 miles, I drive the car on hilly roads. I let the engine slow down the car going downhill.
5) At 1000 miles, I change the oil.
6) Ready to roll...

fuzman
01-02-2004, 05:11 AM
Wow.. that's a whole lot of oil change... but I'm sure it'll do the engine good..

Nonetheless, I found out from a mitsubishi servicing engineer, that it's better not to maintain at high speeds for too long for new cars. I was advised to try keep below 100km/h and not to keep the engine running for more than 1hr. If a long journey is unavoidable then have pitstops evey hour to let the engine cool down. As the car is new and preassembled in the factory, it comes with a different engine oil that is supposed to remove unwanted and loose composites from the engine parts ... the oil is more like a cleaning agent, rather than a lubricant. That's why they have a free servicing at 1000km. After the oil change and the composites have been removed.. then it's ok to drive as per normal. It's the unwanted composites that will ruin the engine in the long run...

So I guess its more truth than heresay... At least now we know the rationale behind it.

mitsu_eclipse95gst
01-12-2004, 02:29 PM
You have to "break the motor in" this does not mean you cant go over 4000 like said above. just dont go dragracing or redlining every gear. you can drive 90 of the lot and be fine just watch the engine speed nothing crazy.

fuzman
01-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback....

Really appreciate 'em!!

Have a great Day guys!

Add your comment to this topic!