Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anybody running a 383?

bfr57
12-28-2003, 09:26 PM
I have a 71 Chevy 4x4 that I'm looking at building a 383 for. I want a lot of low end grunt since I tow and 4-wheel. I'm running a beefed 700R4 and 3.73 gears, but will probably go to 4.11's in the near future. Anybody have suggestions or things to avoid?

a1supersport
12-29-2003, 06:07 AM
How about a big-block? With a stock or slightly modified big-block, you'll probably spend less than you would on a 383, and still get more torque. Trucks like yours came from the factory with big-blocks, so you could do the swap blind-folded. Just a suggestion. I learned over the years to just "go for cubic inches"...and big-blocks are the solution. I've run 283's to bored out 400's (406), and am now in the process of looking for a Cadillac 500 (for the cubic inches, of course :)). But a big-block Chevy is definitely a better choice for your truck. Have Fun :)

bfr57
12-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately big blocks were not an option in the 67-72 4x4. I've seen a few guys do it, but there are some pains associated. Heck, a HEI barely fits since the drivetrain is set back a few inches on the 4x4s. Why, I don't know? I have a 402 BBC sitting here, but by the time I buy brackets, exhaust, move mounts, etc., I don't see how that is cheaper.

a1supersport
12-30-2003, 04:59 AM
Really? I know they were an option in the 2 wheel drives. But since you already have the 402...isn't that part of the "bill" already paid for? Whether you build up your own 383, or buy one complete...you're still looking anywhere from $1500 on up. If you go with the 402, headers, some bent exhaust pipe from your local parts store, brackets, an aftermarket electronic distributor (that's the same physical size as the old points type distributor) and a few pains (which really arent' "pains" because you can learn from the guys that have already done it)...and you still won't spend $1500...and yet have more torque. I had a 71 and a 72, both 2 wheel drive. One of them I converted from 6 to smallblock V8. But there was just enough room for an HEI, which is what I used. So since the 4WD engine is set slightly back, you won't be able to use an HEI on a smallblock either? Just curious. But if you're really looking to put in a 383, by all means go for it...maybe even sell the 402 to offset the cost :).

bfr57
12-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Yeah, I don't know why the General never put a BBC in the 4x4s. Maybe they figured low range was the answer for more torque? I'm running an HEI, but there isn't an inch to spare! I go back and forth on what motor to run, it's a tough decision! Is that 402 a reliable motor? What exactly is different than the 396?

StrokedOne
12-31-2003, 02:00 PM
I have had one in my Street Truck for about 2 years. Don't pull or tow but I'm sure it would. I have plenty of low in grunt...495 ft lbs to be exact at 4500 RPM ( at the fly wheel) and 452 HP at 4750 ( at the fly wheel) if my memory is correct, been two years and only had to rebuild the carb.That should pull anything you would like. Gas is not that great but if you want power you have to give up something. I use mine to terrorize the local Vet and Cobra community. I love it......

a1supersport
12-31-2003, 02:51 PM
The 402 is actually a .030 overbored 396, that's all. Heard different stories about why that was done (from 1970 and up). So whenever you see a 396 badge on a 70 and up car/truck, it'll most likely be a 402.

bfr57
12-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Got any do's or don'ts for building up a 383? What heads are you running? Carb?

StrokedOne
01-01-2004, 09:19 AM
The most important thing if you get a kit is to get a good kit. There are a lot of cheap kits out there but, you get what you pay for. I have seen a 383 built for a couple hundred bucks, then built again a short time later. (but I have seen big money spent and the same thing happen..lol)
If you build it yourself be sure to match your parts. Depending on what you use it for you won't need 8,000 and 9,000 RPM.. All your componets should be in the same RPM range. Also, you have to watch stuff like the circle bas on your cam..some have to be ground down for a stroker app.
I spent a descent amount of money on mine but, it has been together two years and the only thing I have done is rebuild the carb and it is a pretty nice little combo for the street, without getting to wild. I drove it everyday back and forth to work for almost 1 1/2 until I got another truck. I run a 74 year block with JE pistions, Crane cam, Dart II heads, and a 750 Holley vaccum. But, there are a thousand combos. Just gotta find yours.

Add your comment to this topic!