Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiyas X-18

beginner
12-28-2003, 01:34 PM
On the bottle it says semi gloss black, but I have no idea of how it should look.

I've painted the bottom parts of my Tamiya Enzo but they all look different from each other. The middle piece shines like glass, the front piece is little less shiny and the back piece is matt. :eek7:

I'm using an airbrush and I don't know how much paint I'm suppose to spray on.

Should i spray untill the pieces get a mirror-like look?

:1zhelp: Please!!

( Maybe someone could show me some good pictures of how it should look? )

I'm running out of patince and paint, can't mess it up too many times... :1zhelp:

I would appreciate some help!!

Thanks!

chinesechickens
12-28-2003, 01:46 PM
the paint should be in between mirror and matt.are you sure you are spraying the same amount of paint on each area or from the same distance?hope this helps

clem24
12-28-2003, 08:06 PM
MIX MIX MIX!!!! All paints settle. Tamiya semi-gloss black is a great paint for trim, but isn't that good for spraying. If you have to spray it, mix it like crazy (with a good stir stick) getting everything from the bottom. Otherwise, your it turns out really glossy! Same goes for the flat black.

One suggestion I have for semi-gloss black, like the floorpan of the Enzo, is to use a coat of Testors Flat black spray, then wait a few days for it to dry. Then spray on a coat of Testors satin (semi-gloss) clear coat over top. This combination leaves a really nice rich black color that nothing else seems to be able to duplicate. For carbon fibre parts, you could even try a base coat of silver, then spray flat black over a mesh. Then use either semi gloss or gloss coat.

Hope that helps!

clem..

CalsonicR34
12-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Regarding spraying flat then semi gloss over the top, I find it gives the plastic texture that is on cars but also can replicate leather and dashboard materials if you spray a bit more semi gloss over the flat black.

MPWR
12-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Tamiya's X18 semi gloss black is really a catch all color for Tamiya. It gets used in every car kit they make, and is really supposed to be a generic automotive black. Many, many people have been frusturated with X18, because when applied, it looks nearly identical to Tamiya gloss black (X1, I think?). It should, in theory appear halfway between gloss black and flat black (X1 and XF1?). The way to fix X18 is to get a bottle of Tamiya flat base (can't think of the X#, but it's in a clear bottle), and add a bit to the X18, until it looks semi gloss instead of gloss (don't add too much, or you'll get flat!). Yes, it sprays just fine. Stirring X18 alone may help a bit (but not really enough!), to mix in the insufficient amount of flat base Tamiya has already added to the paint.

The other question this raises is whether or not everything Tamiya calls out to paint X18 really should be semi gloss. I personally have not yet had the pleasure of examining the underside of an Enzo, but in most cases when Tamiya calls for X18, I paint a very flat black. Too much gloss black, I think, runs the risk of looking a bit toy like. I use gloss black in places where contrast in finish is necesary- say on drive shafts, where I'll use gloss on the actual shaft, and flat on the rubber CV boot, to emphasise that the rubber boot is actually a separate part from the shaft.

This issue gets a bit more complicated with the Enzo in particular, because (following their catch all nature with X18) Tamiya indicates parts on the Enzo that are in reality carbon fiber to be X18. Of course, not all parts colored X18 on the kit are CF on the real Enzo. Not an issue if you're not doing the obsessive CF decaling, but no help if you are. So, what color is that black thingie really supposed to be? :eek7:

clem24
12-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Actually, I was thinking more the X18 enamel. MPWR -- You're right about the acrylic though. I have never actually any acceptable result from X18 acrylic. Tamiya does use this color in ALL their kits, and basically uses it to replicate both plastic and metal.

The enamel X18 is a beautiful paint and dries to give a finish that is very real. I use it to hand paint all my window trim and most engine parts. You can also try Testors. They make a window trim black (I can't remember what it's called). There's also a semi gloss black when they had that racing color line. I think I may have a bottle somewhere, but never got around to testing it out...

clem..

pflau
12-30-2003, 03:25 AM
black chrome trim???

way too glossy for me..

beginner
12-30-2003, 06:10 AM
Maybe I'll try out the enamel X-18.
If I use it in my airbrush, what do I have to clean it with? How long does it take for enamel to dry?

Does anyone know of humbrol enamel colors? are they any good?

MPWR
12-30-2003, 09:04 AM
If you're spraying Tamiya enamel, you need Tamiya enamel thinner to thin and cleanup. Gloss and semi gloss enamels can take much longer to dry than acrylics.

beginner
12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
I've looked around and I can't find Tamiya enamels or thinner. Where can I get them?

You mean I can't use Tamiyas thinner ( X-20a ) with enamels? ( I use it with my acrylics. ) I didn't know they had different thinners.

MPWR
12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
I've looked around and I can't find Tamiya enamels or thinner. Where can I get them?

You mean I can't use Tamiyas thinner ( X-20a ) with enamels? ( I use it with my acrylics. ) I didn't know they had different thinners.

No! Enamels and arcylics are rather different beasts, and so by definition are the thinners for them both. Acrylic thinner is water/alcohol based, and enamel thinner is refined mineral spirits. Definately not interchangable.

I have no idea where to get the mythical Tamiya enamels. People keep talking of them, but I'm still not convinced they actually exist! :disappoin (I understand that outside of Japan, they can be exceedingly difficult to come by.)

ywwong
12-30-2003, 08:35 PM
i use TS29 (tamiya spray can of semi gloss black) i have hard time using bottle X-18

AE86er
12-30-2003, 08:57 PM
I have no idea where to get the mythical Tamiya enamels. People keep talking of them, but I'm still not convinced they actually exist! (I understand that outside of Japan, they can be exceedingly difficult to come by.)

They exist for sure, but are NOT distributed in the USA. Japan, Australia, and UK get them, however.

Only thing I can figure is that their ingredients are VERY, VERY volatile and not legal for US distribution. I dunno...their TS-Sprays are pretty dangerous as it is...

If anybody has a reliable online source for Tamiya enamels, let us know!

iceblend
01-01-2004, 05:01 AM
A question about x-18. do they stick well do the surface? I alway have a runny job whenever i use that colour, i need to prime the surface then wld the paint stick well to it..do u guys have similiar encounter b4?

beginner
01-01-2004, 06:21 AM
I don't have that problem. I spray it on with an airbrush. I don't know what would happen if you brush it on. Perhaps you put on too much paint?

clem24
01-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Ok, here's my attempt to prove the existence of Tamiya Enamel paints.. They are almost impossible to find here in Canada unless someone privately imports them. The malls in Richmond BC may have some model shops that stock them. I stock up whenever I am in Hong Kong... I have at least 5 unused bottles sitting around here.

Anyway, I've attempted to take some shots of my WRX in dismal lighting conditions. The second shot I actually stuck my camera lens right up to the car mirror so you can get a better understanding of what it looks like. It doesn't look as coarse in real life. Gives a really nice plastic texture, which IMO looks the most realistic for window trim. It works great for underbody stuff too, cause the coverage is very good, with only 1 coat.

I brush my stuff on. I haven't been able to replicate the same finish by using an airbrush. Somehow, thining it and spraying it just makes it look completely different. The color is the same, but the texture is very different... And the acrylic X-18 doesn't look anything at all like the enamel.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/118295x18_1-med.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/118295x18_2-med.jpg

clem..

MPWR
01-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Nope. I think he's faking it. Anyone could have photoshopped that! Doesn't exist, I tell you! :disappoin

_WIDE_LOAD_
01-04-2004, 12:07 AM
I've had the same problems in the past (bout 3yrs ago before a stopped modeling to concentrate on high school studies.....IT DIDNT HELP!) there is alot of difference when you spray/airbrush/hand brush X18, and it is true that there are S**T loads of difference between the enamel and acrylics.

p.s. i have the opposite problem to you guys. i can find tamyia enamels easy as finding a gum tree in the bush, but finding the arcrylics its like finding a needle in a haystack :banghead:

clem24
01-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Trouble finding acrylics?? Weird. But you're really not missing out on much though. I usually don't choose the acrylics. The only acrylic I really use are the clear colors... maybe gray once in a while. And if I ever break out the airbrush, then it's always acrylics cause it's just much more pleasant to clean.

clem..

iceblend
01-05-2004, 08:29 AM
If i'm not wrong u could actually order acrylic paints over the internet, but i'm not sure where.Enamel paints DOES exist! At least my LHS carries it. :naughty: :naughty:

Matthew Usher
01-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I've never used Tamiya' acrylic semigloss black (X-18), but I love their spray-can version (TS-29). Wonderful stuff for suspension components and engine-compartment bits.

I used it on the suspension and drivetrain of my Mk. II Jaguar. It's a nice contrast to the flat charcoal gray chassis.

http://images3.fotki.com/v27/photos/4/43099/144780/jagchassis-vi.jpg

Matt Usher @ FineScale Modeler

Add your comment to this topic!