Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Boxter Vs. S2000

kmajid
12-28-2003, 02:44 AM
I'm looking at buying a used car so i came across a 2000 Honda S2000 with 20000 miles on it for $19500 and a 1998 Porsche Boxter with 58000 miles on it for $18600 (is that price too low so that i should worry?).

Just curious what you guys think of the two and which i should go for. The honda is certified used and comes with a 7 year 100k warranty while the porsche does not.

How much would it cost to maintain the porsche compared to the honda? How easy is it to upgrade either cars with a turbo etc...

Any advice would be great and if you know of any other cars in a similar price range any ideas are welcome, thanks a lot....

porsche-fan
12-29-2003, 07:57 PM
I don't own either cars, but reading about cars is a hobby of mine. I am planning to get the next generation of boxster in a couple of years. So take what I say with that in mind...

Well, you can't really modify the boxster with a turbo. I've looked on line for modifications in the past and there are few modifications that could improve your performance by much. Unless of course you install a 911 engine in the boxster otherwise you are looking at sticking with what you got. If you can spare the cash and want the power, I recommend a boxster S. Most magazines describe it as the perfect sports car. I test drove one and now I am hooked.

I've heard the earlier versions of the boxsters have seen lot's of recalls and problems. So you might want to take that into account... Especially since you are buying a used car without the factory warranty. And the dealer with demand high premiums for repairs.

Finally around 2000 and 2001 years, the base boxster saw increase in horsepower and preformance and reliability, so look into the later years if you really want a boxster. Those will also still be under warranty.

As for the honda, you will see better reliability than german cars. However a critism of the honda is poor low end torque meaning that the car doesn't preform at low speeds which is when you use it most. The honda VTEC requires very high rpm ie around 8000 or so before you get the boost. That means you got to step on the gas hard, get the engine speed high up before you get your muscle. So if you want top down cruising around town you'll look better and feel better in the porsche. But if you are planning on highway fast driving, the s2000 is your game. The new 2004 S2000 has modified the engine to address this problem.

As for getting a feel on what is a good price, look on ebay, they give you a feeling of what is the right price...

Hope it helps and let me know what you get.

kmajid
12-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Porsche-fan, thanks a lot for the thorough response. It had a lot of detailed and helped me out big time. I am obsessed with the porsche but it seems like i might end up going with the S2000 but it's all good, a couple years down the road hopefully i'll be owning one of those beautiful german machines....i'll keep you posted regarding what car it's going to be. Thanks again.

PUBLIUS
01-22-2004, 01:54 PM
I am not going to address the issue of value here. If you are looking for value, names such as Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc., should not even be considerations.

I do not know about Aston Martin, but Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo all
produce there cars with some level of hand craftsmanship. To the best of my knowledge, Ferraris and Lambos are completely handbuilt whereas
the frame of a Porsche is done by robot, with the remainder (engine, trans, interior, exteior panels) being done by hand. Given the fallibility of humans, it is unreasonable to expect these cars to be flawless. They will however, give you a better experience in every aspect of ownership.

What I will address however is the difference in performance. The bottom line is that, even though the S2000 produces more horsepower (+12) than the Boxster, one look at the power curve will tell you the whole story. Japanese "performance" cars have no torque. Horsepower is irrelevant, torque is what moves you down the road. Also, I must disagree with Porsche-fan as regards to highway driving: the Boxster has a higher top end than the S2000, and the difference will be even more pronounced if you choose to remove the electronic safeguards. Or to put it in more concrete terms: 1.) I have never been beaten by an S2000, either on or off track. 2.) I can be traveling at 50mph entering a 3 lane Interstate and be over 100 by the time I am in the fast lane. The only way you will be able to do that in an S2000 is if you leave it in low gear (which, as you know, isn't doing your engine any favors.)

Boxsterdave
02-01-2004, 12:16 PM
what ever boxster you want... 2.5... 2.7 or 3.2 there all supercars and all can be modified. On the 98 boxster a GT3 engine can be fitted along with the gt3 breaks of corse. I have even seen pics of a GT3 front and lights. The boxster is an awsome car, withought mods.. my 98 boxster is standerd at 204 bhp... not many cars on the road beats it.... subaru WRX STI.. thats around 340 BHP?? well 2.5 boxster maches it... reason, quick shift gear box. also remember not many cars can actually do 149.. but ours can... The new subaru's can do 120 mph and there 2nd piston MELTS!!!

Boxsterdave
02-01-2004, 12:45 PM
also.. it doesnt matter what a cars BHP sais on paper... get behind the wheel of a boxster and youll find its in a class of its own.

PUBLIUS
02-02-2004, 08:38 AM
That must be some nice stuff you are smokin there...

onetime_77
02-03-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't own a boxster but have been looking into it for some time, so don't quote me or anything. From everyone I have spoken to, and read, the S model is the cream of the crop as far as the cheaper sportsters go. When I do get a boxster it will have to be the S model. So far all I have driven is a couple base models and they really don't seem all that quick to me. My mustang ran far better times. But the S is worth the investment if a boxster is what you want. Also, you can get a turbo kit for the boxster. Only issue is that I have only found them at dealers, and they run around 10 grand. Thats not even installed. So for the money an S with some minor mods would be the best bet. I have driven an S2000 and really don't like the feel of it. Yes it is a nice car, but if I had the choice I would take a Boxster S hands down. I am 6' 210 lbs and even though snug in the S I felt much better shifting and taking curves. My biggest concern with the S is that there isn't much work I can do myself on the mid engine...and I prefer to do my own work.
If it was me though, I would get about a 2000 Boxster S.

HornR4life88
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
My family owns both a 2001 Honda S2000 and the most recent item to the collection, a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. My father was happy with the Honda up until a friend of his let him drive his Boxster. From then on my dad had the porsche in the back of his mind. When it came time to make a decision, the Honda went from Boston down to Florida where it has become my sisters car. The Honda is a great car, but with a 9000 RPM redline, you have to crank the car up to 6k before you feel the power, at that number you make the car really scream. If you are looking for a loud car, possibly the Honda might be for you. The sophistication of the Porsche, as well as the history behind the impressive name, the Boxster S will deliver power with a lot less effort. The "family" car is a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T, 6sd. My father and I both like the fact that its a V6 with twin turbos to power it. Personally I'm not one for big V8's that show off that American Ego that's overated. Bigger isnt always better. I am looking forward to driving the S as soon as it arrives!

Porsche_Daddy
02-06-2005, 02:08 AM
That must be some nice stuff you are smokin there...

LOL, this is a funny thread. Lets get some things cleared up here as there seems to be some inacurate info floating in this thread.

1. You cannot put a GT3 engine in the boxster as the intake manifold is to large to fit. You can put in a standard 3.4L or 3.6L engine with the 3.4L being much more common.

2. There is a company that offers a turbo for the boxster called TTP. It costs 25k for the new internal parts and turbo but it gives you 400+ hp.

3. If I were you, I would take an S2K over the 98 boxster. The 97-99 boxsters have the rather anemic 201hp 2.5L flat 6 engine. The peak torque isn't all that great either compared to the s2k but it does come on at a much lower rpm. The S2k is definately faster 0-60 and 1/4mile wise if you are concerned with those things.

4.No warranty....and older boxsters have problems that will cost you a shitload if they rear their ugly head.

5. I'd love to see a 2.5L boxster beat a STI in a drag race. That will be the day. Mmmmm I wonder why that guy is banned? coughTROLLcough.

6. HP rating for the varying boxster and years
97-99 boxster 201hp
2000-2002 217hp
2000-2002 "S" 250hp
2003-2004 228hp
2003-2004 "S" 258hp
2004 anniv "S" 264hp
2005 boxster 240hp
2005 "S" 276hp

porscheguy9999
02-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Boxster of course.

Maintaining the Porsche would be more expensive no doubt. But you would have much more bragging rights. You can't really say "I got a Honda. What do you got, punk?"

The Boxster and S2000 are similarly matched on the road and on track, but the Porsche is the cooler car.

Porsche. There is no substitute.

Porsche_Daddy
02-19-2005, 07:53 PM
The porsche definately has more badge appeal yes, I would just be careful about talking to much smack with a 2.5L 1998 boxster. It will get beat by anything much faster than a stock RSX type S.

wadswoaj
03-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Hello all...... just thought I'd add my 2 cents :2cents: ......

I currently drive an '02 S2000 (owned from new)...... the comments above are generally accurate but the apparent lack of torque of the VTEC engine doesn't really bother most S2000 owners...... even with its modest torque the car gives huge bang for the buck and is as fast as most people would ever need.

In a straight line the 2.5 Boxster doesn't stand a chance and I've never had much trouble beating the 2.7....... the 986 Boxster S is much closer and will generally be slightly quicker than the Honda but is close!

In the twisties all Boxsters are better balanced but the S2000 is also fantastic. On track the S2000 is amazing and much as one previous reply said about their Boxster...... I've never come across a Boxster that could keep up with me on track :evillol:

Everyone says what a great noise the Boxster makes but the S2000 (with airbox cover off) sounds very meaty once inside the VTEC zone (between 6000rpm and the 9000 redline).

When I went for the S2000 just over 2 years ago I also tested the Boxster and Boxster S...... at the time the 2.7 wasn't fast enough to justify the extra cost over the Honda and although the 3.2 was a nice ride the S2000 gave almost the same performance for half the price..... so it was a no brainer!

The S2000 hasn't given me a single problem and its been a great car to own (and drive every day)...... all I can say it drive both cars before making your mind up, you may find that the Honda is the better option when compared to the underpowered 2.5 Box.

However with that said having tested the new 987 Boxster S the decision on my next car was just as easy so I've ordered the Porsche...... due for delivery in June.

Porsche_Daddy
03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
However with that said having tested the new 987 Boxster S the decision on my next car was just as easy so I've ordered the Porsche...... due for delivery in June.

Good decison. The 987 S is getting rave reviews. Nothing in it's class can compete with it besides a C6. It's refreshing to come accross other car enthusiasts that actually know what they are talking about. That was a good unbiased post. Many people know jack about the boxster and the people with the least amount of objective knowledge seem to be the first ones to open their mouths. I've never driven an S2000 but from what I know it is a great sports car at a great price. You made the right decision on the S2000. The 2.5L boxster just can't compete with it. I'm envious of the 05 S you will be picking up. That is a nice step up from your current car. From what I hear Porsce's "vario cam" is similar to hondas V-tec so the you'll really dig that extra surge of power that starts at 5k rpm.

wadswoaj
03-16-2005, 08:21 AM
You made the right decision on the S2000. The 2.5L boxster just can't compete with it. I'm envious of the 05 S you will be picking up. That is a nice step up from your current car. From what I hear Porsce's "vario cam" is similar to hondas V-tec so the you'll really dig that extra surge of power that starts at 5k rpm.
Cheers...... I had around two hours behind the wheel of the 987S before ordering mine but didn't really notice much of an extra surge of power...... there is a noticable change in exhaust note when the extra air intake channel opens up which is nice.

As far as I understand it the Porsche Vario-cam system is related to throttle presure as well as engine revs so if you put your foot down at low revs the vario-cam helps increase torque while at higher revs it helps generate higher peak power...... I could be wrong but if I am I'd love to know more detail if you know where I can find some?!

The S spec that I went for includes PASM adaptive suspension, Sport Chrono and sports short shift gear lever..... I aim to drive the car hard rather than use it as a cruiser :icesangel

Porsche_Daddy
03-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I was looking at the Porscge website for some vario-cam info, but they didn't have any in depth info that I could find. From what I know vario-cam is variable valve timing on the intake side. This is similar to the V-tec system just more mild thus less noticable. The switch in tone you hear at 5k rpm is the more aggressive cam profile kicking in I believe.This system seems to deliver good to power up high while still providing decent torque down low. I

KnightSNOW
09-21-2005, 03:38 AM
I just traded in my '02 S2000 for an '05 Boxster. Both cars are very nice. You can't beat the price difference between an S2000 & Boxster. The S2000 has the most bang-for-your-buck. Performance wise, they're very comparable. But as a daily driver, the Boxster is a better choice. I'm glad I bought it. It's pretty much like the S2000, except that it's more luxurious. Very comfortable ride, compared to the S2000, which is very raw. So depending on what you want to use the car for, will determine which car you should get. If you don't care too much about comfort, then the S2000 is awesome, cheaper & lighter. The gearbox on the Boxster can't compare to the S2000's. The shifter on the S2000 is sooooo smooth. Other than that, the Boxster is a really nice car. (plus you get more looks from Chics. hehehe)

Add your comment to this topic!