Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My 'New' 944

Freeker
12-27-2003, 11:58 PM
I am 16 and just got my first car. A 1984 944 with 28,000 miles when I got it, I already have it up to 34,000 miles so time for my 2nd oil change. I have done some minor mods to it so far, changed the plugs to Boch Platnium+4's, Glass pack (Yes on a porshe), and took power steering off (Not that bad but worth the power). My car is alot faster than stock now but I want more power (Tops out at 140 now :)) I am
thinking of gettting a performance chip next, and hoping I can find a turbo. I am having trouble finding a Performance Coil for it though and was wondering if anyone could help me? I am also wondering what my 0-60 is now, I took a new nissan SE-R off the line and until 120 when he chickened out :P that does it in 8.1 if I am right so I am hopeng I am in the 7's now. I want me car to take a Cobra and I know it will cost me but that is my goal for my baby. Oh and of course its a 5 speed.

YeTi
12-28-2003, 02:45 AM
well, you should put a K&N filter on it if you want to increase HP...
i chipped mine. however, the chip i put in was cheap and only lifted the rev limiter and added like 3-5 hp. mine now maxes out at 150.
after market turbo could give you a signifigant hp improvment, and your volumetric efficiency would skyrocket... but don't chip it yet if your going to take the turbo route... you'll just have to buy a new ECU and thus a new perf chip. of course you'll have to get a new stronger tranny due to the extra hp...
Damn, a 944 for a first car...
mine is my 4th car. i wouldn't have suggested a 944 for a first car due to the high maintenence intervals... but cool nonetheless and best of luck.

P.S. how does it sound with the glass pack? does it loose backpressure at all?

Freeker
12-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Well with the glass pack.I think I gained only 2-5 hp but the sound is worth it! It still has that sowing machine engine sound only Porshes have but from about 2500-3500 rpms it sounds like a mustang!! After that it just screams like its some nascar engine. Yeah I think I'll get a K@N filter next then.

87Porsche951
12-29-2003, 07:45 AM
If i remember correctly that year of 944 doesnt have Powersteering and ALL 944 with powersteering have Steering Assist.

I wouldnt spend to much on performance stuff on that 944. Chip is $400 and some are cheaper but you have to ask your self is 5-10hp worth $400? K&N filter is worth the money cause its reusable and saves you money in the long run but dont expect any noticable gain.

Don't bother trying to get a turbo kit. There is a supercharger for all n/a 944's. It cost over $5,000. If your serious about increasing you early model 944 than heres a list of stuff you might want to invest in:

Supercharger ($5,000+)
Custom Chips for supercharged engine ($400 Guru Racing)
Injectors
Igntion Upgrades (Wires, Plugs, Coil, etc)
Strut Brace & Sway Bars
Suspension Upgrades ($1500-$3000 depending on what you get)
Brembo "Big Reds" ($1,200-$1,700 dependin on year and suspension)
Tires (id go w/ Parelli P-Zero's or Dunlop SP Sport 9000's)

By time you got this you probably start to think it would be better off as a track car so you probably want to get a roll cage & Strip the car!

There is also Carbon Fiber & Fiberglass Widebody Conversion by GT-Racing. Which will allow for wider tires and also reduce weight :)

Freeker
12-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info. So a performance chip doesn't make that big of a differance? Oh an it does have powersteering, I took the belt of the pump myself. Next I am going to take the whole pump off, lines cylenders, ect.. to strip the weight and I am not going to use it anyways.

87Porsche951
12-29-2003, 08:38 PM
On a turbo it nets good gains (50hp+ depending on the tuning) but on a regular n/a car you wont get much in power increase. Mostly enough to increase throttle response. Alot of people mistake throttle response as a big power increase. You will most likely notice the car responds better when you mash the throttle. Performance Products does sell a package that consists of: Throttle Cam, K&N Filter & Chip! Which would be a decent mod. If you get the package you will see a bigger gain.

Ben944
12-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Freeker, are you sure it had only 28,000 on it when you bought it?? that sounds kind of low for an '84, and if I'm not mistaken, the odometer only goes up to 99,999, meaning it could have had 28k, 128k or even 228k. Did it come with all the maintnence records? My car is an '83 with 116k, and I thought that was pretty low. Just a thought.
Ben

Freeker
12-31-2003, 09:00 PM
yes it was only 28k I have records and it was like new, "Cherry!"

Add your comment to this topic!