whats a mean sounding muffler?

patriot_youth
12-28-2003, 12:12 AM
i have a '98 tahoe with a 350, it has the stock muffler and i need a new MEAN sounding one. so what is the bad dawger to use? let me know.

grazie,
patriot_youth

patriot_youth
12-30-2003, 12:48 PM
c'mon somebody give me something to work with?

patriot_youth
01-01-2004, 07:54 PM
nobody has anything to say about exhaust? i find that hard to believe...

pawn
01-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Hold UP hold UP!!!! Scott 02 is hear to help you out my friend....
If you want something mean then tell me just how mean you want it? Do you want something that sounds good and is just soo freaking loud that it will echo like hell under an overpass bridge? You need to look for a muffler that has a small case size and someting that has no chambers or has like one. I really do not recomend Flowmaster just because the experience i have had with putting Flowmasters on 350's makes not power gains and kind of sounds like crap. People think that i'm crazy but what you need is a 16in Glasspack. Think about it...They are cheap, Loud, which will more satisfy your needs, they are not what people think they are, and are a free flowing muffler which means more power along with your nice MEAN sounding noise. It WILL NOT crackle if you use 3 in. piping comming off the glasspack. And i do not want to hear any back pressure BS because its not going to effect it. If that isn't loud enough for you, find someone or remove the cats yourself. Any questions comments, please drop me an e-mail. I will always be glad to help out.

jgood2709
01-01-2004, 11:52 PM
i have a flowmaster 40-series 2 chamber w/ 3 in. piping on my '96 tahoe with the 5.7. it sounds great, and i got some power.

patriot_youth
01-07-2004, 05:35 PM
removing the cats and putting on glasspacks... what does that do to the smogging crap. i don't want to do something that is going to screw me when it comes smogging time. can i throw a glasspack on without removing the cats?

shawnhuish
01-07-2004, 10:15 PM
I installed a Flowmater exhaust kit. The kit comes with all the pipes, muffler, mounts, tip, and heat shield. I had to cut and re-weld one mount for my 2001 Tahoe but besides that no welding is required. See the flowmaster website for the kits.

pawn
01-07-2004, 10:41 PM
removing the cats and putting on glasspacks... what does that do to the smogging crap. i don't want to do something that is going to screw me when it comes smogging time. can i throw a glasspack on without removing the cats?

Yeah you can throw glasspacks on without removing the cats. I said if you want louder then remove them. Most likely they are a pain to get rid of so just leave em on.

patriot_youth
01-15-2004, 12:27 PM
so just throw on glasspacks instead of the mufflers and it should still be all smog legal and all that good stuff. sorry it took for ever to reply

pawn
01-15-2004, 01:32 PM
so just throw on glasspacks instead of the mufflers and it should still be all smog legal and all that good stuff. sorry it took for ever to reply

Yeah it should be. do they check Smog were your from?

Jamaal
01-15-2004, 06:40 PM
um why dont you just customize your own exhaust

patriot_youth
01-16-2004, 04:58 PM
first off they sure do check smog around here. you have to have your car smog checked every year. i live in vegas and i think we are second in the country for being a pain as far a emissions go. i think the only state worse is cali.
second, customize my own exhaust? you mean dink with what i got or make my own? i know nothing about exhaust so i really don't know how to customize it...hence why i asked. let me know if you have any suggestions.

thanks,
patriot_youth

4x4-Beaner
01-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey are you still looking for a muffler? You should look in to Magnaflow mufflers. They are similer to glasspacks and pass smog test. I have one on my 1999 tahoe. They sound good and give more power and torque than flowmaster. They sell the kits or you can just get the muffler and take it to a shop and have them install it for you.

maintainin76
01-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I have a Magnaflow installed on my 99 Tahoe as well. Sounds great!!!!

Lil Sonny
06-27-2004, 09:47 PM
all mufflers pass a smog test.. as long as u have a muffler on and cat converters it doesnt matter

95tahoe4x4
06-28-2004, 08:12 PM
It all comes down to $$$$, if you want a cheap, obnoxious loud, go with glass packs (an expect to replace them in a year or so), if you want a good tuned sound go with a 40 series Flowmaster, or a Borla system or go with the imitators like Magnoflow, Dynomax, etc. If your tahoe was in my shop a 40 series Flowmaster, with a single 3" mandel bent tailpipem with a stainless tip would cost about $300.00 bones, it would be cheaper if you went with a Magnaflow or Dynomax. A Boral system would be quite a bit more. A single glass pack (leaving the original pipe)would be about $90.00 bones.

With any system you do, that nice quiet cabin will be gone, any other muffler will resonate in the cabin, making it louder in the cabin - especially in the back. I am taking the Dynomax off the wife's Tahoe to put on a quieter one, want it?

Kt

Add your comment to this topic!