Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote starter recommendation for '98?

ottoracefan
12-27-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm trying to decide which remote starter to install in my '98 Limited. There are so many brands/models available, I thought I would ask if anyone had a recommendation for/against any particular one.

I will be installing the system myself. I want to connect to the factory keyless entry and trunk release features, but am not interested in adding a security/alarm system to the car.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

ponchonutty
12-28-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm trying to decide which remote starter to install in my '98 Limited. There are so many brands/models available, I thought I would ask if anyone had a recommendation for/against any particular one.

I will be installing the system myself. I want to connect to the factory keyless entry and trunk release features, but am not interested in adding a security/alarm system to the car.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

I would recomend a unit from Directed Electronics (DEI). They seem to be the ones to get. They've kinda pioneered this market and have been #1 with Consumer Reports for the last several years. You can go to www.directed.com and look at all the different kinds they have availible. I sell this brand and I will tell you that you can only buy the Valet, Hornet, and Rattler (to name some) out the door. Most others will have to be installed unless you find a dealer that's willing to sell it to you.

The install should be fairly easy for you as long as you understand 12v. vehicle electronics. Getting past the Passlock system can be a little tricky for amatures if you have it. Some of the Buicks still used the old VATS system with the black chip in the key. For that, you just need the right resistance which you can get at Radio Shack. Passlock, I suggest using DEI's # 555L since it is self learning. Just a few wires and you are done. Also, I suggest using 3M t-taps and fully insulated male spades to do the install. Otherwise, use solder with either shrink tube or 3m super 33 electrical tape.

ottoracefan
12-29-2003, 06:31 PM
I would recomend a unit from Directed Electronics (DEI)............................

The install should be fairly easy for you as long as you understand 12v. vehicle electronics. Getting past the Passlock system can be a little tricky for amatures if you have it. Some of the Buicks still used the old VATS system with the black chip in the key. For that, you just need the right resistance which you can get at Radio Shack. Passlock, I suggest using DEI's # 555L since it is self learning. Just a few wires and you are done. Also, I suggest using 3M t-taps and fully insulated male spades to do the install. Otherwise, use solder with either shrink tube or 3m super 33 electrical tape.

Thanks for the recommendation and installation tips. I've installed remote starters before but haven't always been totally successful - - partly because of the poor instructions and quality of the units. I had been looking at the Rattler 369D, so your recommendation puts that at the top of my list.

Will let the group know how things work out........

ponchonutty
12-31-2003, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the recommendation and installation tips. I've installed remote starters before but haven't always been totally successful - - partly because of the poor instructions and quality of the units. I had been looking at the Rattler 369D, so your recommendation puts that at the top of my list.

Will let the group know how things work out........

Yep, the Rattler is the out-the-door version of the Valet line.

Add your comment to this topic!