Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Dying/Not Starting

jajdiver
12-27-2003, 02:31 PM
93 Integra: (This happened on my 88 Integra too)...lately if I shut off the engine and then have to restart in a short amount of time, the engine will crank but not turn over. Usually waiting a few minutes will help. Trying too many times too quickly runs down the battery and it won't start at all. BUT, worse, while DRIVING, the engine has died - rpm's just go to 0. It luckily comes back alive in a few seconds.

Help!! (On the 88 it was difficult to diagnose, but once mechanic figured it out it was relatively uncomplicated - but I can't remember what it was...don't want to spend tons of cash having them check every little thing again).

Spectre927
12-27-2003, 03:48 PM
It could be the alternator, and check to make sure the cables are securely connected to the battery.

Spectre927
12-27-2003, 03:49 PM
My bad... you may even need a new battery. Check to make sure its in good condition.

jajdiver
12-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Have been doing more research - seems there's a common problem with hondas/acuras and the ignition switch and/or main relay. Heard of anything like that?

HondaIntegraXSI
12-29-2003, 11:02 AM
jajdiver is right, or in my case n e waays, thanks man.

jajdiver
01-08-2004, 12:52 AM
ok, changed ignition switch, but it died again.

now it's completely dead - won't turn over ever (still cranks).

i hear the main relay click, though. and it's winter (in california, so not freezing, but not hot at all)...

so any more thoughts?

jajdiver is right, or in my case n e waays, thanks man.

integralover
01-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Have been doing more research - seems there's a common problem with hondas/acuras and the ignition switch and/or main relay. Heard of anything like that?
i have had that same prob. i also replaced the ignition swith. but it had started back up again. then i just replaced my tranny about a month ago and i had to take out the starter. and then put everything back tightly. since then i have not had any problems with my igniton. really wierd:screwy:

Teggy Pwnage
01-09-2004, 08:59 AM
I have a 97 civic lx manual, and it died on me twice while I was driving normally. I had my subs and lights on, so it may have been the battery, but is sounds like you might have some problems with the spark plugs or the ditributer. My friend had the same problem with his car not starting, he got a new battery and everything was fine. it would crank over but it wouldn't start. good luck

jajdiver
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Consensus at the shop was a bad distributor. There was no spark whatsoever - so a freakin fortune later, I'm up and driving again.

I have a 97 civic lx manual, and it died on me twice while I was driving normally. I had my subs and lights on, so it may have been the battery, but is sounds like you might have some problems with the spark plugs or the ditributer. My friend had the same problem with his car not starting, he got a new battery and everything was fine. it would crank over but it wouldn't start. good luck

HondaIntegraXSI
01-09-2004, 11:40 AM
The relay fixed my problem. Try your battery and electrical system. then try your ignition system.

Add your comment to this topic!