Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Tire Pressure

hlandor
12-27-2003, 12:03 PM
I have a 2000 LeSabre Limited. While driving down the road the check tire pressure warning came on. I thought, what a great feature, this is going to save me a tire. Pulled over, walked around the car several times, kicked the tires, everything looked OK. Went to gas station and checked pressure...all good. What should I look for? How does this sensor work?

Flatrater
12-28-2003, 07:17 AM
Your low tire light works this way. Each tire has a rotation speed measured by the ABS computer thru a wheel speed sensor. The computer remembers what the rotation speed is and when it senses a difference in one tire it turns on the low tire light.

Now if all 4 tires were low by the same amount the light would never come on, it has to see one tire being different. Now if you had 3 tires at 32psi and one at 60psi your low tire light will come on because it sees a difference. And the oppsite is true 3 tires at 32psi and one at 25 psi the light will come on. The computer looks for a 4psi difference.

Now whenever you rotate your tires you have to reset the system also because the computer remebers what the tire were at and it will see a change and could turn the light on.

From what I have hear the US federal government will require tht all cars and trucks sold in the US will be required to have a tire monitoring system installed. I don't know when but they are discussing it.

ncinirator
06-07-2005, 01:43 AM
My mothers Buick has a wierd problem-

All the tires never hold the same amount of air. If I put air in all the tires @ 32 psi one of the tires will loose some air in about a week and the check light will come on. If I put air in the tire and reset the light in about a week different tire will loose air and the same thing will happen.

Anyone heard of this problem with Buick?

polarzak
06-07-2005, 06:26 AM
My mothers Buick has a wierd problem-

All the tires never hold the same amount of air. If I put air in all the tires @ 32 psi one of the tires will loose some air in about a week and the check light will come on. If I put air in the tire and reset the light in about a week different tire will loose air and the same thing will happen.

Anyone heard of this problem with Buick?

I do not have this problem, but if I did, I would think I had slow leaks in the tires or around the rims.

95 LeSabre
06-12-2005, 01:26 AM
How do you reset the system?

Add your comment to this topic!