Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Tacoma Starting problems

_Green_
12-27-2003, 04:38 AM
What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum as well as a new tacoma owner. A couple days ago I turned the key and got the click, click click noise. I have a battery charger and have been charging it, to the point where it starts normally. I'll drive it say for 15 minutes, and when I start it again it's either dead, or has a hard time. I checked the 80A alternator fuse and it is still good. I was wondering if there is an easy way to check to see if my alternator is bad. I heard you can take the ground off the battery when the truck is running, but that it may fry components. I just don't want to get a new battery or alternator if I don't have to, and don't want to get ripped off from some mechanic.

Thanks alot for any help! I appreciate it.

(1999 Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab /4 cyl.)

OBATDDSD
12-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Hey guy..
first check your battery connectors to make sure they are clean or loose.. get a volt meter/mult-meter test your battery with engine running. you should read 12-14 volts. increase your throttle and you should see a rise in voltage. this usually indicates that your alt is okay. then change your battery. if you're able to check acid/water level in the battery, do it. if it's low, it's your battery. especially if it's the original since 1999.

_Green_
12-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Thanks alot for the info, I'll do that tomorrow!

_Green_
01-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Just wanted to say thanks, it turned out to be just my battery, so I'm stoked!

Add your comment to this topic!