Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint Question

feargone
12-26-2003, 03:42 AM
Hi Guys I'm new here and need a LOT of help for the paint selection, especially for body painting.

I'm using tamiya paint,
Which would gives the best result that can be polished to high shine: tamiya acrylics, tamiya enamel, or the tamiya spraying can (TS-series)?

I prefer airbrush over cans in the way I can control the flow of the paint surely by exact amount rather than pressing the knob on the can. I've do lots of reading in this forum and it seems that lacquer are the best for large area and polishing. But does tamiya make any lacquer paint in bottle? Will enamels give me the same result, especially when polishing?

I had some difficulties when trying to rub enamel paint with tamiya rubbing compound. The rubbing compound would make the paint dull! unless I polish it real deep, even after I left the paint for about 7 days.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion guys.

Okiemodelbuilder
12-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Hi Guys I'm new here and need a LOT of help for the paint selection, especially for body painting.

I'm using tamiya paint,
Which would gives the best result that can be polished to high shine: tamiya acrylics, tamiya enamel, or the tamiya spraying can (TS-series)?

I prefer airbrush over cans in the way I can control the flow of the paint surely by exact amount rather than pressing the knob on the can. I've do lots of reading in this forum and it seems that lacquer are the best for large area and polishing. But does tamiya make any lacquer paint in bottle? Will enamels give me the same result, especially when polishing?

I had some difficulties when trying to rub enamel paint with tamiya rubbing compound. The rubbing compound would make the paint dull! unless I polish it real deep, even after I left the paint for about 7 days.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion guys.
Tamiya sprays are awesome! Solid colors give a very high gloss right out of the can. The pearls and metallics require Tamiya gloss clear spray. Apply the clear within 15 minutes of the last color coat or wait 2 to 4 weeks to avoid cracking of the clear. Tamiya colors and clear have different drying rates but it's not a problem if you apply right after color coats.

If you spray these just right you might not even have to polish. Tamiya dries with a fine texture. I polish mine with 3600-12000 sanding cloths then Meguiers #2,9,7 and 26.

Add your comment to this topic!