Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny leak at transaxle

radeohedca
12-25-2003, 07:53 PM
My '96 Bonneville is leaking tranny fluid where the drivers' side transaxle comes out of the tranny cover. The seal was replaced but it still leaks.
I was told that the bearing inside the tranny must be badly worn.
I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to replace and what it would take (i.e., does the tranny have to come out ?...etc.).

Is this a common ailment for this era of Bonneville ?

Thanks, Hugh

Flatrater
12-27-2003, 07:04 AM
Is the leak coming from the axle or right below the axle? Did the axle have any defect around rhe sealing area?

Now right below your axle is your side cover which has a seal around it. Your axle goes into the channel plate and bot the side cover so it needs a seal.

radeohedca
12-30-2003, 06:34 AM
The seal was replaced and it didn't help.
The mechanic mentioned to me that there appeared to be excessive sideplay in the axle which would suggest
that the bearing needs to be replaced.
Seems to leak the worst when it's been sitting for a while and I back out of my driveway or parking spot.

Flatrater
12-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Ok the answer to your earlier question now would be yes it is a hard job to do! The trans side cover has to be removed, valve body and then the channel plate needs to be removed. After all that you have to press out the bearing and press in the new bearing.

radeohedca
12-30-2003, 09:23 PM
A difficult job...okay.
Is this common or uncommon to 96ish Bonnevilles ?

Add your comment to this topic!