Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Buick Park Avenue Stalling

kmos
12-25-2003, 12:58 PM
I have a 1991 Buick Park Avenue Ultra 3800 engine with 115,000 miles.

Recently, the car started stalling. For the exception of a couple of times, it has been stalling when the car is hot and in excess of 45 mph.

I had the outside cam sensor changed. She still stalled. I just had the inside cam sensor changed, but it is still stalling. When it stalls, I am able to start the car only after several attempts. It starts if I give her a few minutes. I get NO fault codes!

What should be my next step?

Idle air control motor?
TCC solenoid?

or as someone recommended disconnect the alarm system?

Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated!

TIA

mounddog
04-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi - i have the exact same problem - mine is a '92 with about 112k. Ive tried many things to no avail - i just posted (4/05/04) about this problem - hopefully somebody has an idea -

FireBurb
04-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Simaler problem here but my 88 Park Ave. seems to die in the early mornig hours and runs fine during the heat of the day and when it dies There is no spark on any of the plugs. A mechanic suggested the crank sensor so I changed that but no luck. I'm looking for a loose electrical connection or some moisture getting in some where, maybe in the ignition module???
Any way I hope you guys have some good luck and if I figure out what the problem with mine is I'll let you know.

mounddog
04-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Im not helping much here - but seems to me the problem is that once the car stalls out, there is no spark to the engine (i tested mine out and i also have no spark right after the stall). And it takes awhile (at least 1/2hour for me) for it to 'regain' its spark and fire right back up again. Do any Buick mechanics know what this might be out there? Thanks

FireBurb
04-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Well I don't think it's moisture any more, It just stalled on me yesterday going about 65 and it just died. The car was warm and it was about 10:30am so it should have been fairly dry. I poped the hood and wiggled the plug and wires going to the ignition module and I heard all the little electric whiring and buzzing pop on in the engine and she started right up. So when I got home I took off the plug and pushed the little conecting prongs closer togeather on the plug hopefully resulting in a better connection with the module. If this don't work maybe I have a broken wire right off of the plug? I'll be checking that out next. :)
Just a thaught on your problem mounddog, I wonder if it could be the heat of the engine expanding a connection or somthing like that then after that 1/2 hour it cools and contracts letting it regain the connection? Hmm this could be the problem with mine too, the module is right up front by the radiator.....
Well Its just an idea. :) Don't know if this will help but again good luck.

mounddog
04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Well i SEEM to have solved my problem with the car just cutting out while im driving. After changing out Ign module/coils with (great looking 3800 engine from car with body damage)junkyard ones, new camshaft sensor, new battery, MAF and TPS sensors (same junkyard car) - she still would conk out after the warm up, driving etc. I was getting a Code 17, and read on the internet that if you have Code 17 (which is supposed to be camshaft sensor) And ign module/pcm are good (i dont know about my pcm) - it is the crankshaft sensor. We replaced crankshaft sensor - and Wala! It seems to work now - ive driven it in mixed city/country roads for about 30 miles over last two days and has Not conked out (knock on wood). I checked codes and there are none now. Hope that helps someone.
I still have the same problem i had before all of this - that when im driving and steadily accelerating (lightly) i will suddenly have a drop in RPM and momentary loss of power - with rpm/power returning about 2 seconds later. Kind of annoying. Doesnt seem to happen at lower speeds, more like 30-50mph zone. Ill post a new one on this - Mike

Add your comment to this topic!