Page updated on 10-19-2017

eh...I started painting my first model today, and...

rupertaker
12-19-2001, 10:22 PM
It doesn't look really good. I did 3 layers of primer, waiting about 30 hours or so to dry. I just started painting and ran out of paint before the first layer could be completed.. It's looking really "gritty" and just overall shitty. Is that because of the quality of the airbrush, or just because I haven't put down enough paint yet? It looks like the texture of the primer sorta, although I thought I sanded it down good. I used a airbrush/can propellant from Walmart.
Also, It didnt' seem to spray while standing straight up. I had to flip the sprayer upside down or even sideways, and then all the paint would leak out, but it would finally spray..any idea about this? thanks..

turbos86
12-19-2001, 11:13 PM
Have you read the thread with full instruction on painting car bodies?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t14192.html
I haven't primer before, but should you wait more than 30 hours before painting? Did you sand the body after you prime it?

rupertaker
12-19-2001, 11:36 PM
Yup..

I read the instructions. I sanded after primering too..I will take a pic of the car...Possibly it's because there is just not enough paint on it?

CRX_SOON
12-20-2001, 12:06 AM
you shouldn't be using an airbrush to do your body dude try picking a can of spray paint in the color you desire.

Mikke
12-20-2001, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by CRX_SOON
you shouldn't be using an airbrush to do your body dude try picking a can of spray paint in the color you desire.

And why is that, exactly? :confused:

CRX_SOON
12-20-2001, 01:12 AM
b/c as he already said you run out of paint way to fast to make an even job of it. but thats just my opinion seeing as i don't have any experience yet.

Guiddy
12-20-2001, 05:03 AM
Yeah, I would agree with the above.
Airbrushes are very delicate and precise things, and experience is needed to get the best out of them, especially the cheaper ones.
Go with a can for the first few.

What paint medium did you use?

Mikke
12-20-2001, 05:09 AM
:( Too bad I have no other choice than airbrush (or brush-painting, which is not a choice..) No Tamiya sprays in Finland, and I don't even consider using automotive sprays.

So, could someone recommend a decent airbrush for me (my budget is very limited). Any experiences of that cheapo Testors airbrush with propellant can?

Guiddy
12-20-2001, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Mikke
[BAny experiences of that cheapo Testors airbrush with propellant can? [/B]

Yeah! Great for the first paint job you ever do with it, then you might as well throw it in the bin!

ales
12-20-2001, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Mikke
:( Too bad I have no other choice than airbrush (or brush-painting, which is not a choice..) No Tamiya sprays in Finland, and I don't even consider using automotive sprays.

Mika, why not use automotive spray? It works nicely. But if you really need Tamiya spray, I could help you out. There are some available here, IIRC, they cost something like 65EEK (will ask in 10 minutes when I get to the model shop :))

Just tell me the codes you need. My friend is going to Finland tomorrow morning... Next time she'll be here in January (so you can save on shipping charges). Or maybe four cans for the Lotus? ;)

Guiddy
12-20-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ales

Mika, why not use automotive spray? It works nicely. But if you really need Tamiya spray, I could help you out. There are some available here, IIRC, they cost something like 65EEK (will ask in 10 minutes when I get to the model shop :))

Just tell me the codes you need. My friend is going to Finland tomorrow morning... Next time she'll be here in January (so you can save on shipping charges). Or maybe four cans for the Lotus? ;)

You can't post paint!:rolleyes:

Mikke
12-20-2001, 09:33 AM
I'd need so many cans that I can probably buy a Tamiya airbrush at the same price :D

So, thanks but no. Very nice of you, though. :)

ales
12-20-2001, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Guiddy

You can't post paint!:rolleyes:

Yes, but you can take it with you in a luggage...

Mika, go for that airbrush! :)

primera man
12-21-2001, 05:57 PM
I agree with you all who say just use cans
:finger: :finger: :finger:

I've never owned a airbrush and probably never will unless the jolly fat man gets me one for christmas.

Add your comment to this topic!