Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mazda 6 Alignment Issues?

Slabjacker
12-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Recently purchased a Mazda 6 and the car drifts to the right on any surface. I realize that roads are graded to the right for rain run-off but this is a substantial pull to the right. At first, the dealer fed me a line that the car is "designed that way" but upon further investigation and a second trip to the dealer, they realized there was a problem. According to Mazda Canada, this appears to be a problem with the 4cyl. models. Last week I had it serviced for an adjustment to the carriage (a "possible solution" from Mazda itself) but the difference is very subtle. Two alignments have been done as well as the carriage adjustment; still no difference. Put it this way, if I were to let go of the wheel, I'd be in the ditch within five or six seconds. My concern is the effect it will have on my left side tires because I'm constantly having to compensate for the drift to the right.
Just wondering if any other 4cyl. Mazda 6 owners have encountered the same problem and, if you have, what did you do to see it corrected?

scotticus
12-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Recently purchased a Mazda 6 and the car drifts to the right on any surface. I realize that roads are graded to the right for rain run-off but this is a substantial pull to the right. At first, the dealer fed me a line that the car is "designed that way" but upon further investigation and a second trip to the dealer, they realized there was a problem. According to Mazda Canada, this appears to be a problem with the 4cyl. models. Last week I had it serviced for an adjustment to the carriage (a "possible solution" from Mazda itself) but the difference is very subtle. Two alignments have been done as well as the carriage adjustment; still no difference. Put it this way, if I were to let go of the wheel, I'd be in the ditch within five or six seconds. My concern is the effect it will have on my left side tires because I'm constantly having to compensate for the drift to the right.
Just wondering if any other 4cyl. Mazda 6 owners have encountered the same problem and, if you have, what did you do to see it corrected?

I have a 6S (V6) that I bought about a week ago and I've noticed that under acceleration on somewhat slippery surfaces, the car wants to pull the front end to the right. I consider this to be normal for front wheel drive vehicles and very difficult for a manufacturer to correct.

Have you had your tires rotated? Tire fault can definitely pull a car from one side to the other. I can't think of what else might do this to you outside of alignment; maybe tie rod ends? Surely the dealer would be able to detect if the TREs weren't within an alignable specification. Canada is an ultraliberal hippie haven that seeks to provide the consumer with ultimate protections; maybe you have some recourse under a communist no-lemon-law or something like that.

heh j/k, but seriously, in Ohio, if a car returns for the same repair n times within t period of time, the owner can invoke legal protections that demand the replacement of the vehicle (where n is an integer in the set [3,5] and t is probably equal to one calendar year).

Teasing aside, hope this helps (eh)

--Scott!

Slabjacker
12-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, Scott.

I've had the tires rotated - that was their first possible solution. They have since adjusted the carriage but it has resulted in only a slight improvement. I've had others test drive my car and all agree that it is far too out of sorts to just let it go.

I plan to return to the dealer for round number three. Ideally, I'd like to demand a new vehicle but contrary to what you may think about things in Canada, it probably won't be so easy. :)

I'd love to hear from anyone else who may have experienced this problem so keep the replies coming. Thanks again, Scott.

rudiaj
12-28-2003, 09:50 AM
I have the 2003 model mazda 6.
4 Cyl. 2.3L.
Since i bought it, it always steers to the right.
I haven't brought it up to the dealer here in Lebanon, but i plan to do soon.
Do you think there's a problem with the front wheel drive system? because if there is, i will never buy another japanese car anymore! back to the germans!

Slabjacker
12-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Mazda has acknowledged that there appears to be a problem with the 4cyl. models - at least here in Canada. They faxed information to the dealer to adjust the entire front end suspension/carriage. They have done this to my car but the difference is slight.

If I were you, I'd get it taken care of immediately. You could be wearing down your left side tires and Mazda won't cover that under warranty. However, if there are enough people out there with similar complaints, they're bound to find a solution sooner. Keep pestering them and don't give up.

acbrua
04-13-2004, 07:18 PM
I bought the new 6 last month on March first.....it has been in the shop now 5 time for the same reason. when you turn the steering wheel the cars front squeals!!!! I have found out mine is one of about a dozen so far that have been reported to do this also a secretary let is slip they are having problems on the 6 with shimmy problems....so my vote don't buy it!!!! Looks great but iti si an over priced piece of junk.

Sorry I know that this is a little off of your issue but wanted to share in casr anyone is thinking of getting one.

Jknight08
07-05-2004, 10:24 AM
I just recently leased a Mazda 6, 4 cyl. in Canada. One of the first things I noticed is that the steering pulls when I'm stopping and starting. From what I've read, the steering pulls to the right when you guys are driving. Mine drives straight when I actually get moving, but it pulls when I'm stopping at a light or taking off from a light. I'm not talking about a slight drift, the steering actively pulls. Is anyone else noticing this problem? I've taken it back to the dealer once to get it checked and they said there's nothing wrong with the alignment that they can see. The mechanic told me the only reason he can think of for the car pulling to the right sometimes is because the drive train is longer on that side, or something along those lines.
After they've checked it, I haven't noticed the steering pulling as much.
Contact me on msn: jedi88@hotmail.com or yahoo messenger: Jknight08 if you guys have found a way to fix this problem.

On another note, if any of you are interested in modifying cars, could someone tell me where I could get decent quality body kits for my Mazda 6? I've found a really good Mazda 6 Atenza body kit but it costs over $2K USD...

Add your comment to this topic!