Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What glue to use when glueing plastic parts to painted shells?

Sebstar
12-23-2003, 03:00 AM
i just looked at the FAQ and it doesn't say what glue to use. I presume superglue is the best option?
This is for glueing items such as the license plates, side mirrors etc onto the already painted and polished shell... thanks for the help...

V1nce
12-23-2003, 03:11 AM
yes super glue but you get fogging, the glue drys white. To get round this use a DEGASSED super glue. Most modeling glue companys will sell this as part of their range. i use the zap o gap version.

You could also use a PVA (wood glue) that you'd use to secure clear plastic parts, just depends how long you've got to wait for the stuff to dry.

DiGiTaLEcLiPsE
12-23-2003, 03:47 AM
I am a cheap fool. I bought my super glue at the Dollar Shop.. :D Haven't used any yet because I'm not good enough.. :iceslolan

ratdat
12-23-2003, 04:01 AM
I use Grip superglue which doesn't seem to fog. For very small items I use a normal cheap liquid superglue as the tiny amount used is unlikely to cause fogging. :icon16: I have used 60 second two part epoxy to fix bigger things like chrome bumpers but it's messy to use so you have to be really careful with it.

V1nce
12-23-2003, 04:04 AM
Haven't used any yet because I'm not good enough..

wouldnt have thought good came into it sensible may thou. just do what you would with a poly cement and dont cover the part with glue. the tip i use is pour a little of the super glue onto a bit of tin foil (or something thats not going 2 soak up the glue) then use a pin to apply the glue sparingly to both surfaces

o yer and dont stick ure fingers together or copy that seen from american pie 2. if you feel the need to stick bits of ure body 2gether use nail varnish remove on the area, itll break up the super glue

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-23-2003, 05:04 AM
The super glues I use for modeling rarely, if ever fog. I don't use superglue for clear parts.

I use Formula 560 canopy glue for clear parts and many final assembly parts to the painted body shell. I've found it at Hobbytown USA. It's a white glue that dries w/tremendous strength (unlike normal white glue). It seems to dry quicker than white glue and it has some sticking strength even when wet. It dries clear so it's invisible, and cleans up w/a damp swab or cloth if it gets smeared, unlike superglue which cannot be cleaned up. It's amazing stuff. Micro Krystal Kleer is a similar product.

EMAXX
12-23-2003, 09:45 AM
When I'm doing small things like that and need just a little of glue, I just use a tooth pick, dip it in my glue, then put a little drop on the part. It works really well.

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
12-23-2003, 10:11 AM
I Use The Microscale Krystal Klear And Take A Toothpick And Dip It In It And Put A Lil Drop On The Spot Where It Goes.

Add your comment to this topic!