Replace Starter on 4.3l 4WD Blazer

melon_medley
12-21-2003, 05:48 PM
I am replacing the starter on my 1995 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3l vortec 4WD, which I believe, should be a fairly easy job. I am using the Chilton manual and it mentions a special technique for 4WD versions.

* Unbolt the engine mounts, then raise and support the engine using a suitable lifting device.
* Unbolt the transmission mount and support the transmission assembly.
My thinking.... Right! Lift the engine to replace the starter!!

Well.... I had access to the starter bolts and proceeded to remove the unit and guess what? There is not enough room to completely remove it.

Unfortunately the Chilton manual is a bit vague on how to remove the engine mounts and lift it up.

Does anyone have any experience on replacing the starter. Perhaps some web page links.

Thanks

Jon

Jethro_Canada
12-21-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure about this, but don't you have loosen the Y pipe to get enough room to side the Starter out?

pingwin02
08-03-2004, 04:29 AM
I have a 97 blazer and I replaced the starter without loosening anything or lifitng the engine. From what I learned the trick is to un bolt it first then take the wires off and jiggle it out. Then when replacing it connect the wires first then bolt it in. It is a snug fit though. when you unbolt it pull it out and hten up and then down. Hope it helps a little.

bobmga62
08-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi..
I replaced the starter on my 96 blazer, and yes it was a very tight fit... it gave me fits almost...I did it probably within the first two years of the car.. they would not warranty it.. because, you guessed it, every time I went to the dealer it would work.. uponpulling the starter out, I found a hair line crack in the solenoid that would short occasionally...

The one problem I had, was the igintion hot lines was so short, that I cut, and soldered on an additional length of about 6 inches, so that i could attach it to the starter and still get complete movement of the starter.. it was tight though...

Good luck

R

BlazerLT
08-06-2004, 12:47 AM
Mine came off without any mount removal.

ibck42
12-16-2004, 11:20 PM
WEll i tried to remove my starter from the exact same model Melon_melody and yep there is not enough space to drop down the starter.. i removed the metal cover from the solinoid as i was told this by the Chevy dealer as the reason it would not come out easy. nope same problem.. when you push back the starter from its housing it is aproximatly 1/4 inch to long to drop down.. and the back of the stater hits on a metal plate welded to the frame that keeps it from dropping down. what a stupid design flaw.. how could they have guts enough to make it that you have to jack the dang engine up to remove a starter???? arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggg.. sure did a great job on making you take the dang thing to a dealer!!!!.. sure has me wanting to get away from Chevy!! back to Ford!

SlammedClipse
12-17-2004, 04:35 AM
Go back to ford cause you can't get to the starter???

BlazerLT
12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Go back to ford cause you can't get to the starter???

Buy an Exploder and you will find out just how insignificant your problem really is.

SlammedClipse
12-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Buy an Exploder and you will find out just how insignificant your problem really is.

This man speaks the truth...

Add your comment to this topic!