Crankshaft Position Sensor

caryard
12-21-2003, 02:42 PM
1994 Miata. I thought I had a fuel delivery problem... (my car was cutting out unexpectedly) and the mechanic puts it on a scanner and says it's the crankshaft position sensor but since the problem is intermittent, it's hard to know for sure... says it "could" be the computer. Anyone else ever have to replace the crankshaft position sensor? How much did you pay for it if so? Easy to change yourself? Looks easy to replace, but there's not a lot of room to work in.

kfoote
12-22-2003, 03:36 PM
I had a crank sensor problem on my 99...turns out the crank sensor was good, just out of adjustment. It's pretty finicky, and may just need to be adjusted.

Miataracer
01-15-2004, 10:10 AM
had a problem with a '99 Miata also, was looking into the crank and cam sensors but I have been told by several Mazda dealerships that those hardly evey go bad... but coils do, often. it turns out it was a bad coil. just as a little check pull your plug wires off the coil pack and shine a flashlight into the tips of the terminals on the coils. they should be shiny aluminum. one of mine had a white chalk like crap on it that was easily seen by the eye.

just a little free check before you go off anf replace any other sensors that are pretty expensive

kfoote
01-15-2004, 11:45 AM
I second that coils and coil packs are a known problem on all the Miatas.

CheapThrills
01-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I know your pain. The M1 94 Miata has a camshaft angle sensor that sets the ignition timing for car. It has no crank angle sensor like the M2 99 does. The joke is I am having the same problems. You can check your engine codes manually at the diagnostic block. Look for codes #3 or #4. The camshaft angle sensor is expensive (approx $450) If it is just intermittent, you should try to simply unplug and check the connections for the sensor (at the back of the cam cover on the right side) as this is only a 5 volt signal. By the way, this is my third miata with over 100,000 miles and this is the first mechanical trouble I have had that was not related to road damalge.

Add your comment to this topic!