Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I know...?

joshzr2
12-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Wanting to buy remote start system for 96 S-10 ZR2. I keep seeing a Bypass Module for GMs equipped with Passlock. How do I know if mine is equipped with it? Thanks.

ponchonutty
12-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Wanting to buy remote start system for 96 S-10 ZR2. I keep seeing a Bypass Module for GMs equipped with Passlock. How do I know if mine is equipped with it? Thanks.

No, you do not have Passlock. That started to surface on GM vehicles in '98 and mostly on the G-am, Sunfire lines. If anything, you have VATS. You would see a black "chip" in the ignition key.

I had a loaded '95 ZR2 and it didn't have anything when I installed an alarm and remote start. If you are doing this yourself, make sure to correctly install the remotestart. If you do not do something like hook up the 2nd ignition wire, your tranny will fail very quickly!!!

joshzr2
12-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info. So you're saying that since it's a 96 it won't have passlock and unless i have a black chip in my key, all i need to buy is the remote start kit and hook it up?

joshzr2
12-21-2003, 10:26 AM
What about my girlfriend's 99 Malibu? Would it have Passlock? If it's a factory security system, then I don't think she does. She doesn't have any type of remote for it or anything.

ponchonutty
12-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info. So you're saying that since it's a 96 it won't have passlock and unless i have a black chip in my key, all i need to buy is the remote start kit and hook it up?

Yep. Well, if you do have the chip, you just need a relay and one of 15 resistance codes to bypass it. :smokin:

ponchonutty
12-21-2003, 09:36 PM
What about my girlfriend's 99 Malibu? Would it have Passlock? If it's a factory security system, then I don't think she does. She doesn't have any type of remote for it or anything.
Yep, she DOES has Passlock. It doesn't matter if she's got an alarm or not. All Malibu's have this.

Add your comment to this topic!