Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 4Runner rear axel seal repair

Jack0715
12-21-2003, 06:39 AM
I'm new here. Took my '01 4Runner in for an oil change and dealer told me my rear axel seal needs to be repaired to the tune of $200. The truck has 43 thousand miles on it. Is this a reasonable cost or should I take it to the local mechanic who might fix it for cheaper? There are no leaks and it doesn't ride funny. How long can I go 'till I get it fixed? I get paid next week. Thanks.

ericwhin
03-14-2004, 08:28 PM
My 2000 4runner and a coworker's 2000 4runner had the same problem which Toyota fixed for free. Both of us had symptoms where the transmission would start clunking very loudly as vehicle was put into gear especially on hills. The oil soaked the rear brakes causing many parts to be replaced. This was considered a silent "campaign" by Toyota. If you complain loud enough they should repair your vehicle free or at least a reduced rate since your mileage is so high.

Brian R.
03-14-2004, 11:47 PM
"There are no leaks"

How did they judge the seal was bad if there are no leaks? Is there any gear oil at all in the drum or behind the brake shoes on the backing plate? They may be pulling your leg.

ToyotaTech
03-15-2004, 02:01 AM
Campaign? I have worked for Toyota and have not heard of "any" silent thing? buy the way if u have the time and mileage on your vehicle then u should be still under warranty on this seal powertrain warranty is 5years or 60,000 miles.

ericwhin
03-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that's why it's a "silent campaign". No one at Toyota will fess up to other owners having the same problem and if I didn't happen to have a coworker with the exact same clunking symptoms (and hers is a 2wd) I would not have known.
Anyhow I pulled the service order from Jan 2001...........They replaced the rear shoes and ground the brake drums. They found the LR axle seal leaky causing brake to stick on. axle seal deformed due to material defects 90310-50001.......this is all on the report.
So yeah, the oil did leak down the axle. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!