j30 timing belt question

msudawgs
12-20-2003, 11:46 PM
i've recently purchased a 94 j30t and was wondering what the noise that is coming from inside the timing belt cover. it sounds like the timing belt is slapping the cover...a tick tick tick sound on the plastic when i rev the engine. anyway, i spoke to the previous owner and he informed me that the timing belt had just been replaced before i purchased it. my question is what the heck is this sound? any of you guys experienced this problem? how hard/easy would be the fix?

saad147
02-03-2004, 05:48 PM
yo mannn... that doesnt sound pretty at all. if i were you id pray to GOD that the mechanic just didnt tighten a belt to its proper specification. if it has anything to do with the tensioners then ur in for about the same labor costs as it would take to change another timing belt.. good luck, and GOD SPEED....

hmmmmm.. wait am i right :dunno:

infinman
02-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Sounds to me you may have a timing belt tensioner problem.These tensioners are famous for seizing up.{they are a gas charged cylinder type}.these tensioner will usually go the life of 2 belts{the original and 1 replacement}.When the 3rd belt is installed you "must" change the tensioner as well.They start off emitting a low "bumping" sound.Then gets louder.If this is your situation, DO NOT IGNORE IT.You don't want timing belt failure on this engine.Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!