Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

noisy engine

speedsters9
12-20-2003, 09:47 AM
My parents have a 95 LeSabre and it's been a good car with few problems. One issue which is concerning them is that the engine is incredibly noisey. They've had it in to GM and they aren't sure but think it's a connecting rod. The car rattles and ticks loudly when running, loud when cold and still noisey when warm.

Any ideas as to problem? Anyone else with same problem and soln?

Thanks.

tman
12-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Sounds like dry lifters. pull the valvecovers, and use WD-40 and/or brake cleaner to get them to freely rotate. then flush the oil, and change the oil. replave the valvecovers, with new gaskets.

joshey
12-20-2003, 08:33 PM
GM isent sure, sounds like one of thoes book smart people work there(you know the type,master techs)

buickmastermind
10-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Hmmm. Risoline would also work...Can't imagine spraying wd-40 into the motor is a good thing. Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I would rather stick to my own tried and true methods. Is WD-40 safe to put in motor oil? Surely not brake cleaner! If you are cleaning it, use risoline! No messy oil flushes needed! A lot less work! Hint: check the oil regularily to make sure it stays at the level it should be at.

tman
10-11-2004, 06:30 AM
both work fine BMM. as long as the oil is flushed to remove the brake cleaner and WD-40, it'll be fine.

I did this about 15000 miles ago on my 94, and she runs great now!

buickmastermind
10-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Cool.

buickross
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
i have the same problem with noisy lifters exactly how did u do that did u just the valvecovers off and spray it down into the lifters ? and did u have it running while u did it? or did u take the lifters out?:banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!