Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

List Your Top 10 Anime

FerarriEnz0123
12-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I like reading about what other animes people like so I can see if what they like is cool or stupid :iceslolan

My top 10 are:

1).hack//Sign
2)Naruto
3)Yu-Yu-Hakusho
4)Shaman King
5)Yu-Gi-Oh (The real fighting kind, not the stupid cards)
6)Ragnarok
7)Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School
8)Dragon Ball, Z, GT
9)Escoflowne
10)Final Fantasy

So send me your top 10 and i'll make fun of you or just do nothing. :rofl:

pod
01-11-2004, 12:07 AM
1 princess mononoke
2 final fantasy the spirits within
3 gunsmith cats
4 spirited away
5 outlaw star
6 cowboy bebop
7 the animarix
8 blue gender
9 the goast in the shell
10 akira

sugarcaddy
01-11-2004, 09:38 AM
We have a top ___ list going already on this topic. Why dont you go thru the threads and find it before you start another thread on the same subject....

Scott

NNY666
03-31-2004, 11:23 PM
1. Hellsing
2. Inuyasha
3. Witch Hunter Robin
4. Samurai X(or all the Kenshin ones)
5. Angel Sanctuary
6. Your Under Arrest
7. Love Hina
8. Gundam Seed
9. (cant remeber the name)

NNY666
03-31-2004, 11:25 PM
ok cant remember #9 so on i go
9.(new one) Escaflowne
10. Spirited Away

<is OMGWTFLOL!'D!
05-03-2004, 01:48 AM
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. X TV (<hates the movie>)
3. Samurai X (Trust, Betrayal, AND Reflection)
4. Voices of a Distant Star
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion
6. Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade
7. Wolf's Rain
8. Last Exile
9. Gundam Wing
10. Hellsing

(#1 is the best, BTW/LOL/OMG!)

Layla's Keeper
05-04-2004, 12:58 AM
#1: 2nd Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki OAV (best character growth ever in a seinan anime, and laid the fabric for a truly astounding 3rd OAV)

#2: Oh! My Goddess OAV (contemporary of Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki and easily its equal, plus Belldandy is one of the most enduring characters in all of anime)

#3: Gundam Wing (while not the finest Gundam series, of the alternate timeline series it easily has the most interesting characters and some of the best character designs)

#4: Project A-ko (a hilarious send-up of every convention and cliche in anime)

#5: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (ungodly pretty animation, classically brilliant character designs by Yoshitaka Amano, and a wonderful story of love and betrayal, what more do you need?)

#6: X TV (phenomeonally well done, one of CLAMP's best works ever)

#7: Bubblegum Crisis (BGC 2032 was and still is the gold standard of cyber-punk anime, and 2040 was a sick joke of a follow up. Besides, Kenichi Sonoda did the character designs and Masaki Kajishima - creator of the Tenchi Muyo franchise - was the mecha designer)

#8: Area 88 OAV (Shin Kazama is one major badass)

#9: Initial D (it's not the most intellectually engaging series, but it's damn fun. Besides, Wangan Midnight and Akai Pegasus haven't been animated yet)

#10: the Harlock universe in general (Queen Emeraldas, Harlock Saga, My Youth in Arcadia, name a Harlock series and it's bound to be excellent. Captain Harlock is the original badass)

Howielong
05-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Not really an anime guy but i like FLCL. yeah

lotusonwater19
05-15-2004, 04:16 AM
1. X TV
2. Initial D
3. Fruits Basket
4. Grave of the Fireflies
5. Animatrix
6. Gravitation
7. Kare Kano
8. Inuyasha
9. Hikaru no Go
10. hmm dunno yet....

LMLAngel2002
08-10-2004, 12:13 AM
don't know a lot about anime but I find the art well detailed and some very beautiful

2Slow4U_Noob
08-10-2004, 11:11 AM
1. Hellsing
2. Trigun
3. Berserk
4. Ninja Scroll
5. Vampire hunter D Bloodlust
6. Vampire hunter D
7. Dragon Ball, Z, GT

I'v seen others but i wouldnt put them in my top 10 list

geofroley
08-16-2004, 08:21 AM
1. Gundam Wing
2. 8th MS Team
3. Endless Waltz
4. Rahxephon (The movie)
5. Initial D

That's all I can think of.

Marc-OS
08-16-2004, 10:23 PM
1. Samurai X OVAs
2. Hellsing
3. Berserk
4. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
5. Gungrave
6. Blood: The Last Vampire
7. .Hack
8. Initial D
9. Princess Mononoke
10. Read or Die

jester4666
08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
no particular order:

Inuyasha
Spirited Away
Pokemon
Yu-gi-oh
Cowboy Bebop
Love Hina
Chobits
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Sailor Moon
Bubble Gum Crisis

xviciousx
08-20-2004, 01:35 PM
No particular order:

1-Cowboy BeBop
2-Evangelion
3-Tenchi (all)
4-Lain
5-Escaflowne
6-Trigun
7-Berserk
8-NOIR
9-Outlaw Star
10-Voices of a Distant Star

Neutrino
08-23-2004, 01:53 AM
1. Ghost In The Shell (movie)
2. Naruto
3. Inuyahsa
4. Initial D
5. Evangelion
6. Vandread
7. RahXephon
8. Outlaw Star
9. Escaflowne
10. Full Metal Pannic (not fumoffu)
11. Nadesico

the list is not necesarily in order

DoberManJT
09-26-2004, 07:01 PM
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion (specifically the Über-meaningful End of Evangelion)
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Akira (but not the horrible voices they give them in the newer collectors edition)
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Spirited Away
6. Initial D (hellsyeah to the Hachi-Roku!)
7. Ghost in the Shell
8. Fist of the North Star (my very first anime... oh the good times of 1990)
9. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
10. Boogiepop Phantom (just pay attention to the small details!)

driftsilvia
11-05-2004, 12:46 PM
ah i cant pick 10
Escoflowne
princess mononoke
Love Hina
Gundam Seed
Wolf's Rain
Initial D
8th MS Team
Outlaw Star
Tenchi
Trigun

b18ls
11-09-2004, 06:44 AM
How is it Nija Scroll was only mentioned once. That has to be the best anime ever made. Next would be Ghost in a shell.

Layla's Keeper
11-09-2004, 12:06 PM
As much as a fan of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's works as I am, I have to say that Ninja Scroll is the anime equivalent of a Jean Claude Van Damme movie. Yes, there is a lot of action, a lot of blood spilling and over the top violence and even the infamous rape scene....

...however, the movie is extraordinarily thin on plot and the violence within the movie serves only as shock value to keep the watcher interested. Compared to X TV or Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, or his two Animatrix shorts - World Record and Training Program - Ninja Scroll remains a blight on Kawajiri's highly respectable career as its blatant pandering to the lowest common denominator undermines the artistic merit of his later works.

b18ls
11-09-2004, 02:56 PM
I don't agree. I thought it not only had a good plot, but the artwork was much better than most others made. I had to watch it sevral times to realy appreciate it. Each time was better than before. I did watch a few vampire hunter D movies, but never anything as good as Nija Scroll, except maybe Ghost in a Shell. Also another great anime. The artistic work put into each movie is unmatched by any other I've seen. IMO.

Layla's Keeper
11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Except you're not realizing that Yoshiaki Kawajiri is a director/writer not an artist.

When I talk about the artistic merit of Kawajiri's movies, I talk about how well they express the story and mood of the movie through the cinematography.

Even Kawajiri's most lauded works - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and the Animatrix shorts - are light years behind anime's true avant garde of artistry. Films like Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue, and Millenium Actress (all by Satoshi Kon) have pushed animation into true drama and very lifelike concepts, while Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence) has proven just how cerebral and philosophical anime can be.

Kawajiri is basically anime's equivalent of Jerry Bruckheimer. Once in a while, he can make a movie that's universally appealing and pushes the envelope of what a genre movie can be (Pirates of the Carribean) but usually it's just the same regurgitated eye candy and mindless action to keep folks' minds from concentrating on how many plotholes and gaps in logic the movie has (Days of Thunder, The Rock).

b18ls
11-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Okay, you'll have to work with me here. I joined the military instead of getting a higher education. Speak in laymen terms.

I don't know much about anime except that Nija Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and even Blood: Last Vampire were well drawn. Ninja scroll being the best of the three. I felt that while the plot might not have been the greatest, the level of artistic talent along with the balance of action, originality and classic Kung Fu/Ninja movie appeal made it a classic. I particularly like the fact that he wasn't able to win with ease. He could have easily lost most of his fights, not to mention he remained wounded most of the movie which showed realism. Realisim is something you don't expect in a movie like that so when you get some, it makes it that much better.

Have you ever seen Blood: last vampire? Why was it so short. It was only like 45 minutes long.

Layla's Keeper
11-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Blood: The Last Vampire was poorly based on the first few volumes of an ongoing manga in Japan. There simply wasn't enough story available to the creators to properly create a movie.

And I'm not a college man, either. Just a mechanic in Cleveland who studies the arts in his free time. I also review anime occasionally for Anime News Network.

Cinematography basically means how they use the angles and effects of the camera to present the visuals. In animation, cinematography is particularly difficult because the visuals haven't been created yet. As such, it takes a very talented director to be able to create tension and drama in a scene directly from his mind.

b18ls
11-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Poorly based or not, I thought they did a great job on showing the feelings of Japanese locals around the base. Not to mention, it looked like Japan. Most Anime's show Japan as this great big place with a bunch of neon lights and tall buildings. It's not always like that, in fact most of it is run down and poor looking. I spent 12 months in Japan and felt that they did a great job with the realisim as well.

I heard rumors about a sequal to Ninja Scroll. Is there any truth in that. I also read in a wizard magazine that they were going to make a motion picture about it. Have you heard anything about this either?

Layla's Keeper
11-10-2004, 12:36 PM
What you probably heard about was the Ninja Scroll TV series, which is currently available in the States from Media Blasters (same group that licensed the original movie). It's pretty much more of the same, taking place after the movie.

What makes the series interesting, though, is the fact that Media Blasters funded creation of the series since Ninja Scroll had been a sales success for them in the states.

b18ls
11-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Where can I find this series? What is the series called?

Layla's Keeper
11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
It's simply called Ninja Scroll TV and you should be able to find it or order it from your local Suncoast, FYE, or other such media retailer.

Neutrino
11-12-2004, 05:19 AM
Layla I was curious to see why you placed Tenchi Muyo at the top of your list so i started watching the OVAs - well I have allready finished them. 1st, 2nd and 3 episodes of the 3rd one.

I must say, quite a good choice. Ryouko is one of the best characters ever simply brilliant. Not that the rest of the cast is something to be forgoten, especially Washu - its amazing how they allow her brilliance and years of experience including sometimes an unspoken sadness to shine trough a goofy girly exterior.

Mihoshi is of couse a complete riot, the stereotypical air headed blond, however its interesting that they still manage to maintain her character likeable. Perhaps its her well meaning personality.(btw I wanted to as you this: is that her in your avatar?)

Also I wonder what your opinion is on the first episode: Ryouko seems very determined to kill Tenchi. Its understandable for her to have a grudge againts him since he is the grandkid of Yosho but we know that she already had strong feelings for him. Could it be that she wanted to deny those feelings and become her old ruthless self.

Layla's Keeper
11-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Okay, I can answer those questions very easily.

First off, yes it is Mihoshi in my avatar. I've been a White Knight of KOME (Knightly Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasm) for some time as she's my absolute favorite character. Unlucky, a little clumsy, but a heart of gold and a personality that's about tied for cuteness with Sasami.

The explanation for why Ryoko attacked Tenchi, and so readily accepted defeat especially when it was very clear she had the upper hand the whole time, is found in Episode 5: Kagato Attacks.

Recall that in that episode, a good deal of time is spent on Ryoko's recollection of how she's watched Tenchi from her cave since he was a baby. She states at the end of her reminiscing that "I always hoped that when I got out of the cave, Tenchi and I could play together".

That's exactly what she did in the first episode. Think about her attitude throughout the fight. This was her way of playing with Tenchi.

Neutrino
11-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah I though about that, but even knowing that Ryoko has a rather heavy handed aproach with Tenchi, her actions were still a bit over the top. I mean she almost killed him.

Btw have you heard the rumor that they might make Tenchi choose between Ryoko and Ayeka in the third OVA? If that is true I personally hope he'll go after Ryoko since Ayeka is probably the least likeable character, not to mention that it seems she is after Tenchi mainly due to his title.

Layla's Keeper
11-14-2004, 05:51 PM
More than a rumor, Neutrino. The 3rd OAV is the final chapter of the story. Masaki Kajishima, the series' creator, made it very clear that the 3rd OAV was the end of the story he most wanted to tell. Tenchi Universe (AKA: Tenchi TV) and Tenchi in Tokyo (AKA: Shin Tenchi TV) were not canon to the original story as Kajishima wrote it, but instead were alternate universe closed loop stories intended to capitalize on the very profitable Tenchi series.

The only canon TV series in the Tenchi franchise that actually deals with the OAV timeline is the spin-off Tenchi Muyo GXP. GXP actually takes place in the time span between the 2nd and 3rd OAV's and serves to bridge the gap as well as introduce some new and very fun characters.

naruto
02-10-2005, 10:25 PM
1)naruto
2)samurai champloo
3)initial d
4)??
5)???
6)????
7)?????
8)??????
9)???????
10)???????