96 ram transmission

river1002
12-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi Guys,
I need some ideas on what may cause a delay in shifting gears on a 1996 Ram 1500...86K mi. AT. Fluid levels are good and appears clean. It seems to begin after warming up with hangup in 2nd gear. Could a flush and filter change take care of it? I'm trying to be optimistic here. Thanks much...

WINSTON
12-19-2003, 06:43 AM
This wont fix your problem but may give you some insight.
F.W.I.W. I have a '97 ram with 67K. Many Dodge owners (and ex owners) have asked me "had trouble with the transmission yet?" It has a long delay in the drive after engaging a gear if it has been sitting for more than a day or so. It also has erratic shifting and makes a wailing sound in reverse when cold. Others have told me there is a problem with the torque converter draining and that Dodge know about it but are officially denying there is a problem. I don't know if Dodge really do know of a problem but my local dealer denied knowing of it. I have had the trans. serviced by the book on schedule since new. The dealers also say they can find nothing wrong that would explain the erratic shift or noise in reverse. Needless to say I'm not real impressed by them. I took it AAMCO and they were pretty useless too. I hope you have better luck in your area. I also hope that your post and my comments will prompt some informative responses. How about it guys? thanks...W

jordanjamiejessica
11-16-2004, 02:01 PM
i changed fluid at 100k with same proplems uue only chrystler fluid cause there is a differance i know i tried to save a few bucks i now have over 200 k on mine no trans problens

Add your comment to this topic!