Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I Hit the friggin curb

dave99
12-18-2003, 10:22 AM
I was looking at it (curb) and I hit it... (in yesterday's snow)
After that - steering became a very tricky job ...
and with the snow aghhhh

I drove it home at around 30km/h, more would have been dangerous...

anyway it's a 1990 Accord ... - Would you suggest me to try to take of the wheel and try to align it or I better take it to the mechanic?

And what is involved in aligning? or maybe something could get broken?

I hit it at around 20km/h...

Thanks a lot.

I have the Haynes manual but the explanation is not that clear there.

honda_racing_chick
12-18-2003, 10:38 AM
I would take it to a mechanic, aligning could be a little tricky--I dont think anything could get broke--may have just put a knot in the tire. I hit 'em all the time so hey dont feel bad about it LOL, I dont understand why they are there anyway--I guess so they can make drivers look stoopid when they hit 'em LOL

$mokenB'$
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
getting it aligned is fairly inexpensive. i think its like 50$ depends where you go but its better to get it perfessionaly done. unless you broke somthing. but from the sounds of it you didn't, or maybe somthing small it souldnt cost to much.

dave99
12-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys, sounds good so far.
I'll let you know once they charge me a fortune.

Somber Goat
12-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Becarefull, I did the same thing with my 95 at around 35 mph. I hit it hard enough to make my steering wheel turn about 20 degrees while the car drove straight. If I straightened the wheel, the car would pull.

When I had the alignment done they showed me all the results about the difference in camber and all that, I didn't care I just told them to fix it. Once I drove off the lot and got on the highway I noticed my steering wheel was straight but the car pulled when I let go of the wheel.

Moral of the story: Make sure it doesn't pull and it rides straight as soon as you leave.

accordztech
12-22-2003, 01:47 AM
mostly all alignment places have a 6th month no questions warrenty...ask about that...usually before 6 months is up i take my car back in.

alignment, tada! let us know how it goes

dave99
12-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, thanks for a lot of nice and useful comments,
the damage was worse than expected - it turned out that I've had to replace the lower and upper wheel holders (they were bent) and with labor and alignment it totalled to $700... well I paid it but then guess what, the mechanic tells me that it's going to pull and it does pull, and pulls quite noticably even on the regular road.
Now as per my mechanic to make it not pull he must replace a hell of a lot of stuff... that might cost me thousands.
The thing is that before the steering would bring itself to a straight position from any point - now if I turn to the right just a slightly it won't come back. (but if I turn to the right a lot then it will come back)
So the steering wheel feels spongy about 45 degrees to the right.
Do you know what's damaged?
Thanks,

Dave

Add your comment to this topic!