Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Taurus theft system and wiring

cavemanhands
12-18-2003, 11:06 AM
I just put a new engine in a 2003 taurus SE 3.0 (12V) that was an insurance total. After putting the new engine in and installing the battery I tried to start it and this is what it does...
Cranks the engine in "on" position of key (as well as "start") and the theft light is on steady, not blinking. I also noticed that when the battery was out and the key out of the ignition and locked that the steering column was not locked and I could turn the wheels, I do not know if this was this way prior to the removal of the battery??

Any ideas on what to try? I do not have the owners manual nor the KRE remote dongle.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
(cavemanhands)

ponchonutty
12-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I just put a new engine in a 2003 taurus SE 3.0 (12V) that was an insurance total. After putting the new engine in and installing the battery I tried to start it and this is what it does...
Cranks the engine in "on" position of key (as well as "start") and the theft light is on steady, not blinking. I also noticed that when the battery was out and the key out of the ignition and locked that the steering column was not locked and I could turn the wheels, I do not know if this was this way prior to the removal of the battery??

Any ideas on what to try? I do not have the owners manual nor the KRE remote dongle.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
(cavemanhands)

Did you use a different steering column or computer??? You'd need the codes from which ever you used.

cavemanhands
12-20-2003, 10:46 AM
everything is factory, the engine was replaced only and it even has the original factory wiring harness from the old engine.

ponchonutty
12-20-2003, 09:47 PM
everything is factory, the engine was replaced only and it even has the original factory wiring harness from the old engine.

Sounds like a faulty ignition module. It is very common in Fords.

cavemanhands
12-21-2003, 12:11 PM
It is not the ignition module, it is the Theft system shutting down the fuel pump, I need to know a way to manually clear this code from memory, disconnecting the battery obviously SETS the code, so how do you clear it??

ponchonutty
12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
It is not the ignition module, it is the Theft system shutting down the fuel pump, I need to know a way to manually clear this code from memory, disconnecting the battery obviously SETS the code, so how do you clear it??

Well, if the ignition security system is indeed hooked up and everything is all matched up then it should automatically unlock when it senses the right code from the keys. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!