Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Distributor problem

reeves
12-18-2003, 06:40 AM
I've got what they call here in S.A the Nissan/Datsun 2.8 GTX Skyline,2 door coupe. I'm not sure what they're called abroad, probably R30. It has the similiar motor as 280zx.
Anyway., I've changed distributors from the original electronic, to a Datsun Laurel distributor which has the points set up.
I can only get up 5000revs with it, but picks up revs faster than the original. The points burn out at least monthly. So this is becoming a problem. What is suggested guys, should I recondition the original electronic dist or can I do some mod to this 2.8 Laurel Dist or is their even a different dist that you'll can recommend.
Also any suggestions as pepping up the power a bit more. I really love my baby and would want some ideas to keep it kicking ass on roads here.

RazorGTR
12-18-2003, 10:11 AM
First what year is your car?

If it is a Datsun/laural then isn't a Skyline. The engine sounds more like the late model 280zx motor which again isn't an RB motor anyways. The RB didn't get released until the mid 80's in the R31 series.

Just a note the RB30 is a 3 litre single ohc engine and your's is a 2.8 which sounds simular to the 2800 GT series if it is related to the Skyline.

As far as what you can do, I would think about going to electronic, at least early model type as you won't have to run an ecu then.

reeves
12-18-2003, 11:48 PM
This is a genuine skyline, 2.8 gt x. I hav'nt seen the 2.8 GTX in other countries assembeled. It's engine is very much like the Laurels & 280 zx series but this has fuel injection, ASCD, speedo-cruise {full house}

Add your comment to this topic!