Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check engine light on

tankdxz
12-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Hey, I got a problem with my 93 ford explorer. The check engine lights be on for like a week, and when you pop the hood right near the fuel injector is I smell strong gas. and when I went to start it last it stalled twice and I was just wondering if it would a gas leak or the floats of the injector. Anybody know or ran into this problem shout me a line, appreciate it.

speedindevil
12-29-2003, 10:26 AM
I had a similar problem on my 94 4.0 on the driver's side of the intake manifold there is a small rectangular sensor with a vacuum hose and an electrical plug on it, see if the vacuum line is still in one piece. If it is, then it might be your injector o rings.
__Speedindevil___

Opera House
12-29-2003, 11:01 AM
There is a fuel pressure regulator on the passenger side pressure rail. The vacuum line to it is just a press on hose that goes over to the vacuum tree. Inside is a bellows that can leak and feed gas directly into the engine. This gas could also soften the vacuum line and allow it to leak. Other possibilities are the O ring that seals it to the fuel rail and the return fuel line that goes to the fuel tank. Leaks can be difficult to find on a warm engine. When the engine is cold, turn the key on a few times without starting the engine. This will pressurize the system and you can spot the leak before it evaporates.

Twist'n-Wrenches
12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
If you use a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail the pressure should stay at 30-40 psi pressure for at least 5 min. The max pressure is 65 psi the pressure at idle vacuum hose attached is 30-40 psi and vacuum line detatched is 40-50 psi. I hope that helps. Good luck

unko_matt
01-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Hows it? I have a 91 explorer with a loud lifter noise when its cold only after it warms up it's gone poof im wondering if i need a valve adjustment or am I just up a creek?

unko_matt
01-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Hey, I got a problem with my 93 ford explorer. The check engine lights be on for like a week, and when you pop the hood right near the fuel injector is I smell strong gas. and when I went to start it last it stalled twice and I was just wondering if it would a gas leak or the floats of the injector. Anybody know or ran into this problem shout me a line, appreciate it.

Hey bud when I had that problem I replaced my massive air flow sensor and throttle position sensors to fix the problem, some other possibilities may be a gasket leak, fuel pressure regulator valve but most likly the maf or throttle position sensors, also check to see if your air filter cover is completly closed no gaps ok !

Add your comment to this topic!