Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 LeSabre Anti-Theft Reset

HannabilRox
12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Sorry if the answer is posted elsewhere, I haven't been able to find it...

I have 1990 LeSabre I bought used. The battery died, and when I replaced it, the doors locked automatically and the Anti-theft LED blinks with 3 blinks, then a pause. This LED is located on the panel next to the right of the headlight switch, and it is the very first time I have seen it come on. If I try to start the car, it won't crank at all. I have tried by making sure all of the doors, hood, trunk are shut, and used the key on the outside drivers door to lock/unlock hoping to reset the device, but that didn't work. I have let the car set for hours, but the light continues to blink. I have no owners manual with the car, so I can't look it up. It has one of those "Automatic touch climate control" centers and I am not sure if that is used to reset this or not. I have seen the headlights/tail lights flash off and on, but there is no horn sound at all. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Or direct me to a posting that relates my issue.

joshey
12-17-2003, 05:40 PM
sorry but i think that you have an after market security alarm. the red led is not stock. take a look under the hood and see if you can see the do-hickey that makes the system work. then unplug it. see if that works, or swing by my house with a cold mt.dew and i'll solve the problem. :)

ponchonutty
12-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Sorry if the answer is posted elsewhere, I haven't been able to find it...

I have 1990 LeSabre I bought used. The battery died, and when I replaced it, the doors locked automatically and the Anti-theft LED blinks with 3 blinks, then a pause. This LED is located on the panel next to the right of the headlight switch, and it is the very first time I have seen it come on. If I try to start the car, it won't crank at all. I have tried by making sure all of the doors, hood, trunk are shut, and used the key on the outside drivers door to lock/unlock hoping to reset the device, but that didn't work. I have let the car set for hours, but the light continues to blink. I have no owners manual with the car, so I can't look it up. It has one of those "Automatic touch climate control" centers and I am not sure if that is used to reset this or not. I have seen the headlights/tail lights flash off and on, but there is no horn sound at all. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Or direct me to a posting that relates my issue.

I too believe that you have an aftermarket item. you will need to look under the dash for the brain. Most, if you just unplug it, it will let you start the car.

joshey
12-18-2003, 02:19 PM
the red wire or the yellow wire???
lol

HannabilRox
12-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all your help!! It was an aftermarket Anti-Theft system (Audiovox Pro 9149 Pursuit Security System). I found the "brain" lying in the panel covering the underside of the steering column inside the car, disconnected it...and lo-and-behold...she started right up!!

Anyone have instructions on how to connect a manual reset switch for it? There was one lone black wire that was coming out of the box which had been cut. I wonder if I hook a momentary contact SPST switch to +12 volts if it would reset when +12 VDC is applied to it?? Anyone know? I tried to connect it to a ground source and it didn't reset...was too cold to try anything else.

Thanks again!

ponchonutty
12-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all your help!! It was an aftermarket Anti-Theft system (Audiovox Pro 9149 Pursuit Security System). I found the "brain" lying in the panel covering the underside of the steering column inside the car, disconnected it...and lo-and-behold...she started right up!!

Anyone have instructions on how to connect a manual reset switch for it? There was one lone black wire that was coming out of the box which had been cut. I wonder if I hook a momentary contact SPST switch to +12 volts if it would reset when +12 VDC is applied to it?? Anyone know? I tried to connect it to a ground source and it didn't reset...was too cold to try anything else.

Thanks again!

Well, that lone black wire might be the antenna. SOme had a cheap basic wire as the antenna. Sorry, I have no manuals for that alarm. You might want to do an internet search for one.

joshey
12-20-2003, 08:40 PM
nice to know that you can run it to get warm,lol, some places just dont install them right in the first place. i would toss the old unit in favor of a new one and have it professionally installed. you can get the whole system installed for $150 or you can think, who would steel a 1990 buick?

Add your comment to this topic!