Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Accord will not start

Philr_1
12-16-2003, 10:15 AM
I have a 1989 Accord, which had been running fine. Went to start the car and it will not start.

The engine spins as expected.

I've pulled the plugs and have spark at each of them while the engine cranks.

I've loosened the fuel hose fittings at the fuel rail for the injectors and there is fuel pressure when the key is turned on.

The weather has been cool, 20 - 40 degrees.

Also, is there a way I can read the diagnostic trouble codes with out a scan tool.

I appreciate any ideas anyone may have.

Thanks,
Phil

Dibbs
12-17-2003, 08:15 AM
To read trouble codes on a 3rd gen, you have to dissconnect your battery cable for 5-10 minutes (this resets the ECU) and connect it back. Locate your ECU under the drivers seat and you should see a small window w/ an LED light inside. Once you've located it, turn the key on (1 click) and count the number of flashes it gives you. Sometimes it will throw multiple codes at you but there's a pause in between codes so you should be able to figure them out. There's a web board called 3Geez.com that's all about 86-89 accords. There's a list of the ecu codes on the web board that will tell you what sensor has gone out if any.

gmech
12-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Phil, its possible that the belt has broken, which can be verified with a simple compression test.

The preferred method is to use a compression gauge, but in a pinch you can also hold your finger on the outside (NOT INSIDE!) the sparkplug hole and with the engine is spinning over, your finger should be pushed away from each hole.

hope that helps.

Add your comment to this topic!