Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

b18b turbo project question

ny_ls_turbo
12-16-2003, 09:43 AM
I have a stock 98 gs w/ manual trans. , planning on 8-12psi of boost w/ stock internals. Do I really need and aftermarket intake manifold w/ bigger TB 64-70mm??? What about a Fuel Press. Regulator if I'm upgrading fuel pump, injectors, ignition and ECU? I need help :banghead: ...thanks

tsugsr
12-16-2003, 10:49 AM
I really dont know to much about turbo's, but 8-12 psi on stock internals sounds kinda high, most i see people runnin on the street with stock internals is about 6-8 tops

ny_ls_turbo
12-16-2003, 12:05 PM
I will be runnin 8psi daily driving and 12psi at the track, which is ok for a b18b1 engines. But my question is, do I need a fuel press regulator if I'm upgrading the ecu, fuel pump, injectors?

thanks for your replay :smile:

whtteg
12-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Yes you need a new FPR and get a good one and not the B&M. By upgrading the ecu what are you upgrading?

ny_ls_turbo
12-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Yes you need a new FPR and get a good one and not the B&M. By upgrading the ecu what are you upgrading?

upgrade A/F ratio, improve acceleration, retard timing, no speed limit..looking forward to buy a hondata. what else should I upgrade?

lewdaka03
12-17-2003, 10:20 AM
yea im am kinda thinkin bout the same thing if i get a ls... Man u can easily run 9 -10 psi with a head gasket 10 psi would be about 185 ish WHP and 12 psi is somewhere around 195 to 200 WHP u may think thats alot but after u get there u gonna be askin what can u do to run 14 psi and 12 daily because 10 psi around here isnt anything if ur trying to race a wrx or srt 4... and like u said about traction its gonna be hell get adjustable shocks and on the strip run font soft and run ur rear really hard.. jus a suggestion upgrade ur internals it may be 800 more but it will be safer and u can always run more boost if u want!!!!

ny_ls_turbo
12-17-2003, 11:15 AM
yea im am kinda thinkin bout the same thing if i get a ls... Man u can easily run 9 -10 psi with a head gasket 10 psi would be about 185 ish WHP and 12 psi is somewhere around 195 to 200 WHP u may think thats alot but after u get there u gonna be askin what can u do to run 14 psi and 12 daily because 10 psi around here isnt anything if ur trying to race a wrx or srt 4... and like u said about traction its gonna be hell get adjustable shocks and on the strip run font soft and run ur rear really hard.. jus a suggestion upgrade ur internals it may be 800 more but it will be safer and u can always run more boost if u want!!!!

Yea dude, upgrading my internals will be the next step for following year: crane camshafts, forged 8.5:1 pistons, eagle rods, titanium valvetrain, etc. definetly will want some more boost...thanks for your sugesstion

whtteg
12-17-2003, 03:15 PM
The only thing you need to do to the ECU is install hondata and then have a shop tune it on a dyno with a wideband, after you get your turbo setup on. Also don't forget to sleeve the block you won't be able to safely run over 14psi on the stcok sleeves. Big boost gets expensive, always remember that and don't go the cheap easy route, or it will come back to get you sooner or later.

ny_ls_turbo
12-17-2003, 03:21 PM
The only thing you need to do to the ECU is install hondata and then have a shop tune it on a dyno with a wideband, after you get your turbo setup on. Also don't forget to sleeve the block you won't be able to safely run over 14psi on the stcok sleeves. Big boost gets expensive, always remember that and don't go the cheap easy route, or it will come back to get you sooner or later.

thanx alot whtteg, really appriciate ur recomendations

Add your comment to this topic!