Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sticky tire advice

ac427cpe
12-15-2003, 08:22 PM
well, it's time for some dedicated race rims and sticky tire, however, they still need to be DOT legal. these WILL NOT be everyday use driving tires (that's what Falkens are for :biggrin: ), but mostly for AutoX use, with the occasional drag race night, or track day. i've come down to either Hoosier A3SO3 (the autoX tire) or Kumho Victoracer V700's. i've seen that the Hoosiers were preferred at Nationals, but i'm not sure if the slight time gain is worth $62 a tire more.

i've also recently heard that some of the other race tire manufacturers are coming out with some new tires that fit my application, specifically Toyo. i'm leaning towards the Kumhos or Hoosiers, as the new line won't be proven yet, thus, also more expensive.

my question here, is should i wait for the new products to come out (which i'm leaning more towards 'no', unless someone has some insight), or just go with my first choices... then it's the Kumho's or Hoosiers.

this would all be for a 225/50/15 tire on a 8" rim
on an '85 Mr2 putting out close to 250hp

MustangRoadRacer
12-17-2003, 10:02 AM
check out mickey thompson.
I've had good luck with their E/T series tires on my old car that I used to drag race.

ac427cpe
12-17-2003, 03:55 PM
um.... very little drag racing will be done with this car. though those tires look cool... i don't think wrinkle walls will be too good for cornering, and as i'm much more of a lover of turns than straight lines... i don't think they'll work. thanks though.

immagirl
12-23-2003, 09:31 AM
I say wait if you have not gotten them already something better will come out unless you plan on doin some damage to you car more soon than later. If you dont wait I would go with Kuhmo for your car. My friend has the same car and the same tires that you are looking to buy. His work perfectly for race day.

Add your comment to this topic!