Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Engine? Fuel system? Problem

yntdrum
12-15-2003, 10:09 AM
After driving about 10 miles or so at highway speeds, when I give it gas...nothing happens. After pulling over it idles OK, but if I give it gas the engine will sputter and sound like she wants to die.

If I turn off the engine and wait a while, she'll do fine for about the same distance. This wouldn't be so bad if my whole world was 10 miles or less from home but alas it is not. Any ideas on what's up?

Westley Karcher
12-20-2003, 12:14 AM
First try the obvious... plugs and plug wires, try moving the plug wires around where they do not touch each other. If this does not help I would start looking at the fuel pump.

wolfster
02-25-2004, 04:23 PM
My Mazda truck has the same exact problem. Except for it does that after about 30-40 minutes, though. Never checked the exact mileage. I replaced the exhaust system because the muffler had a quarter size hole in it. It does not sputter as much, but it still does it after that 40-minute mark.

Next step is to get the fuel pump replaced to see if that makes a difference. Thats what I thought when I got the exhaust replaced too, though.

Wolfster

MagicRat
02-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Change your fuel filter first. If the problem persists, try removing the sender from the gas tank and clean the pick up screen. Take a look in the tank and see if there is debris to be cleaned out.

bwc13
02-27-2004, 08:57 PM
alot of times it turns out to be the coil.check with a tech shop and put it on a scope.

wolfster
02-29-2004, 12:43 PM
My dad bought a fuel filter for the truck yesterday. Ill put it on and see

if it helps at all. I have a nagging to go offroading lately since its been

like 60 degrees here, but I dont want to be stuck in the middle of a

secluded park with no cell phone reception.

--Jason--
93 Mazda B-2600

doc13ryde
03-08-2004, 09:21 AM
My dad bought a fuel filter for the truck yesterday. Ill put it on and see

if it helps at all. I have a nagging to go offroading lately since its been

like 60 degrees here, but I dont want to be stuck in the middle of a

secluded park with no cell phone reception.

--Jason--
93 Mazda B-2600
wolfster, bring you a chain and come along or a winch and you wont have to worry if you get stuck

GreenlandMopar
03-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Those imterminant fuel pump problems can be a real pain in the dick but most of the time its just the fuel pump acting up .. But i would change the ICM (Ignition control modual first) because its alot cheaper then change the fuel pump.. The icm will only act up when its hot so if you take it off and take it down to napa and have it tested it will test out ok .. Because its cold at the time, so you almost have to just change it to be sure...

wolfster
03-10-2004, 05:49 PM
To Doc: Im not worried about getting stuck in the mud, im worried about getting stuck with no engine working!! My truck definatley wont be gettin stuck in too much mud and dirt!!

To Greenland: How much do those ICM's cost?? Thats what my dad thought when we started having these problems, that a temp sensor was bad or something. Where is the ICM located on a Mazda?? Hope its not too hard to get to.

I may just replace both to make myself feel better.

Jason

wolfster
03-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Oh yea, I replaced the computer in September, so it can't be that. Im narrowing down my choices

wolfster
03-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok Greenland I got some prices on advanceautoparts.com and the ICM's range from
$101.98-$352.54. I ma y go for one of the "average priced" ones $122.36.

Thanks for the idea!!

speedindevil
04-08-2004, 02:10 AM
I had the same type of problem you are describing on my 83 ranger, it was the computer and the ignition coil, but that was an older truck???? Autozone will test your computer for free if there's one nearby (within 10 miles :) )

wolfster
04-18-2004, 07:31 PM
UPDATE UPDATE!!

The truck seems to be acting up (not as much though) in this 70-80 degree weather. My dad put a gasket on between the cat. conv. and pipe, because it was missing one when we put the new exhaust on.

I drove it to church and back today, in about 80 degree weather, no problem.

I do have a "refurbished" computer in it. It went out in October.

Add your comment to this topic!