Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Buick Lesabre not start

stock93
12-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I have a 92 Buick LeSabre and am having a lot of problems with it. It started out with 2 cylinders (1 and 4) not firing. We determined that the problem was the ignition module. It was obviously fried. Green marshmallow-like goo was all over the module and the coil pack. After replacing those we fired on all 6 cylinders again. Now the problem we are having is that you can start the car and sometimes it will run for a few minutes and then it will die after which you cant start it again for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. Sometimes it will run for a while then you turn it off and a few minutes later it wont start again. We have replaced the crank sensor and the cam sensor. We have also replaced the computer. Currently the computer is reading error code 42 and 58. We thought maybe it was the anti-theft system so we tried another key after it wouldnt start but that didn't do it either. We are pretty much stumped at this point and we would like some assistance. One thing we have noticed is that you can spray the sensor with cold water and it will start afterwards. If anyone here has any idea what it might be please let me know.

Regards

stock93
12-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Ok... here is an update. This is exactly what it is doing at the moment.

After leaving the car sitting for a while it will start up right away. It sounds excellent and drives excellent. You can start it over and over. But... if you leave the car sitting for 5 - 10 minutes and then try to start it again it wont start. We checked and when it wont start there is no spark. Also, the ignition module gets quite warm to the touch (not to hot to touch but noticeably warm.) We already replaced the ignition module so I don't think it is the problem but these are the things that we are noticing about the car when it wont start.

Regards

Hyper_Eye
12-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Can anyone help on this?

Hyper_Eye
12-16-2003, 10:19 AM
*bump*

edg
12-17-2003, 03:51 AM
Sign up at www.alldatadiy.com for your vehicle. It's only $29.95 for a year and might have saved you the expense of a cam sensor (which does not cause a no start condition if it fails in a '92) and/or crank sensor.

Here's part of what it says for my '91 LeSabre regarding a code 42:

An intermittent no start condition may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation, or a wire broken inside the insulation.

Check For:

Poor Connection or Damaged Harness - Inspect the ECM harness connectors for backed out terminals "BC7" or "BC8," improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection, and damaged harness.

Intermittent Test - If connections and harness check OK, connect a digital voltmeter from affected terminal to ground while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change.

Hyper_Eye
12-17-2003, 08:07 AM
For the most part all the parts I replaced needed to be replaced. Something went wrong and fried most of those parts. Now... you may be right about the sensors but they weren't expensive and the car is 11 years old. There is no harm in replacing them. The car is in the shop now. I didn't want to do that but I had no choice. I appreciate it though.

Sign up at www.alldatadiy.com for your vehicle. It's only $29.95 for a year and might have saved you the expense of a cam sensor (which does not cause a no start condition if it fails in a '92) and/or crank sensor.

Here's part of what it says for my '91 LeSabre regarding a code 42:

An intermittent no start condition may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation, or a wire broken inside the insulation.

Check For:

Poor Connection or Damaged Harness - Inspect the ECM harness connectors for backed out terminals "BC7" or "BC8," improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wire connection, and damaged harness.

Intermittent Test - If connections and harness check OK, connect a digital voltmeter from affected terminal to ground while moving related connectors and wiring harness. If the failure is induced, the voltage reading will change.

RABarrett
12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
My suspicion is the problem involves the new module. It sounds like the factory unit when it dies. Was this unit a GM unit? I have replaced my share of cheap aftermarket units with GM units, after the customer had had enough. Food for thought. Ray

Add your comment to this topic!