Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why America is the best

dcatkin
12-14-2003, 03:01 PM
:2cents: This is a little off the subject but, my reason for thinking we build the best is, first off I am an American and I'm sold on America. I don't think enybodyelse has the fortuity and enginuity of the people of the USA. We should not even need to convince an Ameriacn that we are the best, we should just know this to be true. Why do all the Japanese like to buy our Muscle cars so much if they figure that their stuff is so much better, why did a standard Chevelle sell for over 100,000 USD to a Japanese car collector, could it be that he thinks our cars are garbage, I think not. When did the last Japanese car sell to an American collector for 100,000 USD. While we're proving that Japan is so much better, why don't we not live there, you coulden't live there and bash their culture and their way of thinking could you. I love the USA, I'm an American and I always will be.

Creepyjon
12-14-2003, 03:54 PM
I live by the motto "Buy american, pay more for CRAP!" There are so many reasons why import cars blow away domestics. I used to have an old Jag, and while the electronics where a nightmare. It was the most awsome car I've ever driven. I used to work as a auto tech so I've driven any car you can name. I've even had some Fords and Dodges, hell I've even had a Buick once. It blew up 34 days latter, no kidding. Name the best handling fastest cars in the whole world, guess where they come from Italy, Germany, and Japan. Yes we come up with a bright spot here and there like the Viper, but dollar for dollar a import will outperform. It's very simple, they have to be competive to sell cars here. That's how it started back in the day, they had to be better and cost less than other cars to sell. They have continued this tradition today. Look at how many of the top auto manufactures are imports, look at how many of them build cars in america and make jobs for us.

Let me sum it up by saying imports will always rule for two very big underlying problems with domestics.
One: The UAW demands way too much money for the simplest jobs, in turn driving up the end cost of thier cars.
Two: The car designs are bland or just plain ugly, and they are getting worse every year. Have you seen the new caviler or malibu yet, EWWW!

Ok yes one of my cars is a Chrysler, but it has a mitsu motor in it, and it's my girlfriends. I drive a metro, but I'm in the market for a VW squareback.

RedLightning
12-14-2003, 05:27 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/articl.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565

read this and weep!

RedLightning
12-14-2003, 05:29 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/articl.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565

read this and weep!

ok, it did not work.

heres it again-

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565

Vlad_Tepes
12-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Well for me its Cheeseburgers and apple pie and if I want to drive a jap car or domestic I can.
Freedomm of choice.

DGB454
12-15-2003, 12:53 PM
ok, it did not work.

heres it again-

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=7565

Great article. Thanks for the link. I think in the back of my mind I always new the GT40 would take care of the competition but it's nice to see someone with a little more authority like Car and Driver put it to bed so nicely.

RedLightning
12-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Well for me its Cheeseburgers and apple pie and if I want to drive a jap car or domestic I can.
Freedomm of choice.

i actually agree with you but, i hate it when pple bash an import or domestic, just b/c its that.

the malibu or boo or whatever is definitly not to pretty, but its a lot better than the one it replaces, the imports do in my opinion have better family sedans, not all imports though and in some cases domestics are better, but not to many times.(in family sedans)

DGB454
12-16-2003, 11:40 AM
I live by the motto "Buy american, pay more for CRAP!"
The car designs are bland or just plain ugly, and they are getting worse every year. Have you seen the new caviler or malibu yet, EWWW!

Ok yes one of my cars is a Chrysler, but it has a mitsu motor in it, and it's my girlfriends. I drive a metro, but I'm in the market for a VW squareback.
So you think cars like the Toyota Corolla isn't bland? How about Nissan Sentra,Altima or Maxima? The Mitsubishi Galant, Diamante, or Lancer? Volkswagon anything.? These are just a few of all the bland cars put out by foreign manufacturers.

Face it. All these middle of the road vehicles are made to be bland. They target the middle and lower class people. The people who just need a car for transportation. Style is saved for the more expensive cars. I'm not saying that every once in a while the car company's don't (accidently) come up with a stylish lower end vehicle but those are few and far between.

What it comes down to is if you buy American or foreign it makes no difference. They are all the same. American Automakers own a large part of the foreign Automakers buisness and visa versa.

mycivic
12-16-2003, 11:48 AM
So you think cars like the Toyota Corolla isn't bland? How about Nissan Sentra,Altima or Maxima? The Mitsubishi Galant, Diamante, or Lancer? Volkswagon anything.? These are just a few of all the bland cars put out by foreign manufacturers.

Face it. All these middle of the road vehicles are made to be bland. They target the middle and lower class people. The people who just need a car for transportation. Style is saved for the more expensive cars. I'm not saying that every once in a while the car company's don't (accidently) come up with a stylish lower end vehicle but those are few and far between.

What it comes down too is if you buy American or foreign it makes no difference. They are all the same. American Automakers own a large part of the foreign Automakers buisness and visa versa.

not necesarily. it really doesent target lower/middle class people. they just buy it if thats what they want. just my opinion. :2cents:

ow...and i can say amreica is the best coz of the burgers.

RedLightning
12-16-2003, 05:39 PM

What it comes down too is if you buy American or foreign it makes no difference. They are all the same. American Automakers own a large part of the foreign Automakers buisness and visa versa.

shut up about the new maxima its a nice car. I do like domestics better most of the time though.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/MediaGallery/1,,20360,00.html

DGB454
12-17-2003, 09:27 AM
shut up about the new maxima its a nice car. I do like domestics better most of the time though.

Sorry about that.:)
I'm just saying it doesn't stand out. It's just as bland as most of the others.
To each his own.

Vlad_Tepes
12-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Chili dogs and baseball...

you guys ever watch cricket? man that is soo freaking boring

RedLightning
12-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry about that.:)
I'm just saying it doesn't stand out. It's just as bland as most of the others.
To each his own.

thats ok, now if you were to look at my 03 max and then you could say they were ugly! lol. i dont think the new one is bland at all but it does blend in with alot of other infiniti and nissan cars. :2cents:

Musclecarclub
12-18-2003, 02:19 AM
With the global economy and everyone owning everyone else, what is truly an American car anymore? Is a Dodge Ram American, even though the profits go back to Germany? Is a Nissan Altima an import, even though it is built in Tennessee? The lines are blurry now.

dcatkin
12-18-2003, 11:32 AM
With the global economy and everyone owning everyone else, what is truly an American car anymore? Is a Dodge Ram American, even though the profits go back to Germany? Is a Nissan Altima an import, even though it is built in Tennessee? The lines are blurry now.
Good point

I guess it's all a matter of preference.

DGB454
12-21-2003, 06:22 AM
I picked this up from another site. It's a list of who owns or is in partnership with whom.

FORD owns:
-Lincoln
-Mercury
-Ford Europe
-Ford Austrailia (esp. Tickford)
-Ford USA
-Jaguar
-Land Rover
-Aston Martin
-Volvo
-Mazda/Mazdaspeed (partially)
-Ford Racing
-Ford Cosworth

FORD parners:
-Saleen
-Shelby/AC
-Roush
-Panoz
-Qvale/DeTomaso

MAZDA partners:
-Suzuki
-(formerly) Kia

GM owns:
-Chevrolet
-Oldsmobile (soon to be dead)
-Opel/Vauxhall
-Holden/HSV
-GMC
-Pontiac
-Buick
-Daewoo
-Cadillac
-Saab
-Saturn
-AM General (Hummer)
-Geo (dead)

GM partners:
-Isuzu
-Suzuki
-Callaway
-Subaru
-Ligenfelter
-Delphi
-OnStar
-Toyota
-Shelby (Series 1)
-Vector

DAEWOO owns:
-Ssangyong

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER owns:
-Mercedes-Benz automobiles
-Maybach brand (soon)
-Chrysler
-Dodge
-Mercedes-Benz Trucks
-Jeep along w/ the (late) AMC
-MCC Smart
-Eagle (dead)
-Plymouth (dead)
-a car manufacturer in China
-Mopar
-Mitsubishi/Fuso/MMC/Ralliart (partially)
-AMG
-McLaren

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER partners:
-Ssangyong
-Brabus
-Binz
-Henessey (Venom)
-Isdera
-Carlsson
-Cummins Diesel

VOLKSWAGEN owns:
-Volkswagen
-Porsche
-Skoda
-Seat
-Audi
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-Bentley

VW partners:
-Abt
-RUF

FIAT owns:
-Ferrari
-Alfa Romeo
-Fiat automobiles

HYUNDAI owns:
-Kia/Asia

HYUNDAI partners:
-Mitsubishi/Fuso

PROTON owns:
-Proton cars
-Lotus

RENAULT owns:
-Renault cars and trucks
-Nissan/Nismo/Infiniti

NISSAN partners:
-Samsung (soon to be dead)
-Calsonic
-Tommy Kaira

BMW owns:
-BMW Automobiles
-Rolls Royce
-BMW Motorcycles
-Mini
-Rover/MG
-BMW Alpina
-M Power

BMW partners:
-AC Schnizer

TOYOTA owns:
-Lexus
-Scion (soon)
-TRD

TOYOTA partners:
-Daihatsu
-GM
-Kawasaki motorcycles
-Nippondenso

HONDA owns:
-Acura
-Mugen
-Motorcycles
-generators
-automobiles

HONDA partners:
-Isuzu (soon to be part-ways)

Definitely a world market with the lines getting fuzzier every day.

Musclecarclub
12-22-2003, 02:23 AM
Great list. Shows just how complicated things truly are.

RedLightning
12-22-2003, 09:14 PM
I picked this up from another site. It's a list of who owns or is in partnership with whom.

FORD owns:
-Lincoln
-Mercury
-Ford Europe
-Ford Austrailia (esp. Tickford)
-Ford USA
-Jaguar
-Land Rover
-Aston Martin
-Volvo
-Mazda/Mazdaspeed (partially)
-Ford Racing
-Ford Cosworth

FORD parners:
-Saleen
-Shelby/AC
-Roush
-Panoz
-Qvale/DeTomaso

MAZDA partners:
-Suzuki
-(formerly) Kia

GM owns:
-Chevrolet
-Oldsmobile (soon to be dead)
-Opel/Vauxhall
-Holden/HSV
-GMC
-Pontiac
-Buick
-Daewoo
-Cadillac
-Saab
-Saturn
-AM General (Hummer)
-Geo (dead)

GM partners:
-Isuzu
-Suzuki
-Callaway
-Subaru
-Ligenfelter
-Delphi
-OnStar
-Toyota
-Shelby (Series 1)
-Vector

DAEWOO owns:
-Ssangyong

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER owns:
-Mercedes-Benz automobiles
-Maybach brand (soon)
-Chrysler
-Dodge
-Mercedes-Benz Trucks
-Jeep along w/ the (late) AMC
-MCC Smart
-Eagle (dead)
-Plymouth (dead)
-a car manufacturer in China
-Mopar
-Mitsubishi/Fuso/MMC/Ralliart (partially)
-AMG
-McLaren

DAIMLER-CHRYSLER partners:
-Ssangyong
-Brabus
-Binz
-Henessey (Venom)
-Isdera
-Carlsson
-Cummins Diesel

VOLKSWAGEN owns:
-Volkswagen
-Porsche
-Skoda
-Seat
-Audi
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-Bentley

VW partners:
-Abt
-RUF

FIAT owns:
-Ferrari
-Alfa Romeo
-Fiat automobiles

HYUNDAI owns:
-Kia/Asia

HYUNDAI partners:
-Mitsubishi/Fuso

PROTON owns:
-Proton cars
-Lotus

RENAULT owns:
-Renault cars and trucks
-Nissan/Nismo/Infiniti

NISSAN partners:
-Samsung (soon to be dead)
-Calsonic
-Tommy Kaira

BMW owns:
-BMW Automobiles
-Rolls Royce
-BMW Motorcycles
-Mini
-Rover/MG
-BMW Alpina
-M Power

BMW partners:
-AC Schnizer

TOYOTA owns:
-Lexus
-Scion (soon)
-TRD

TOYOTA partners:
-Daihatsu
-GM
-Kawasaki motorcycles
-Nippondenso

HONDA owns:
-Acura
-Mugen
-Motorcycles
-generators
-automobiles

HONDA partners:
-Isuzu (soon to be part-ways)

Definitely a world market with the lines getting fuzzier every day.

wow, thats a lot, thats very interesting thanks.

VAD0R
01-11-2004, 03:12 AM
I thought it was the other way around with Nissan owning Renault, sort of like how Ford owns 93% of Mazda, not the other way around. :sly:

oh well :smile:

Musclecarclub
01-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Nope, Renault owns a controlling interest in Nissan.

Add your comment to this topic!