2002 Windstar Stalls

Commander Adama
12-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Had this problem shortly after we purchased the vehicle. Car stalls when braking to a stop. Prior to stall noticed that temp guage goes to COLD. Upon or near stopping engine runs rough or stalls. Always restarts. Dealer re-programed E-prom and problem stopped.

Again this winter stalling problem started again. Also stalls when coasting. Pretty agravating being that it only has 15,000 miles on it.

Tried a new dealer this time, under warranty, then cannot find any problem and did not themselves experience the problem.

Has anybody had this issue or are familiar with a known problem which may cause the stalling?

Thanks ,

Russ

kwas
12-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Are you getting a check engine light?

Commander Adama
12-19-2003, 08:26 PM
First thing we notice is temp guage hovers around C, then she starts running rough and dies, at that point check engine and battery light come on. Primarily happens when decelerating to a stop from around 35 mph. Never dies when pressing throttle.

Got the van in Feb 2002. Had the first problem two months after purchase. Went to dealer, who replaced Idle Air Control Valve. Second shop visit dealer reprogramed computer with updated engine management software release. Ran fine all summer. This winter, pretty much once it got real cold the problem started again.

Took it to another Ford dealer this week. They road tested and did not verify. Let run in shop. Then sat it overnight and performed wiggle test. Road tested for 20 miles before first symtom. They also replaced the IAC today and road tested with no reoccurrence.

The wife picked the car up today and drove 5 miles home, it didn't stall but battery light illuminated twice and temp guage went down to C, while running rough.

I'd trade that dam thing in but its going to cost some $$ to replace it with a non Ford equivalent.

I'm probably going to call Ford division to make a complaint (plea). Anybody who has dealt with similar problems with this 3800 engine, please help.

busboy4
12-19-2003, 08:58 PM
I have not had your same problem, but I would sure look at the coolant temperature sensor. Since you have a bogus cold indication as well as the stall, it is potentially your problem. I am speculating (I am not a professional mech.) that the sensor is sending a false cold indication causing the PCM (powertrain control module) to think the engine is cold and most likely commanding a too rich fuel mixture and subsequent stall. Since the sensor is sending readable info to the PCM it is not generating an error code and therfore not triggering the check engine light.

Just a theory. Best of luck and let us know.

kwas
12-21-2003, 05:54 PM
I have a 2000 3.8 and my issue was a leak between the fuel injection and the intake. Also a leak in on of the valve covers. It causes the engine to run lean. It is a big issue with the newer 3.8's. Does not sound like you have the same issue, but you may want to ask, since it is a common issue.

Commander Adama
12-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Looks like you hit it on the head. Local Ford dealer hooked up a flight recorder. We recorded 4 incidents which demonstrated as follows:

ECT dropped from 194 to 74 degrees and varied to 110 degrees and then went to normal at 194. PCM thinks car is cold and dumps fuel causing rich mixture followed by stall. Replaced ECT.

Dealer feels that this is the cause. Ran fine all the way home. No fluctuation in temp guage. Let you know long term result in a week or two.

Commander Adama
01-21-2004, 09:26 PM
OK, that fix didn't work. Took it back and this time tech traced problem to a bad wire/connection between temp sensor running back into dashboard. Replaced wire in total, temp guage now works correctly and no stalling.

ModMech
01-22-2004, 10:20 AM
I was going to guess it was a wiring issue, as "intermittants" usually are just that...wiring.

pcheney
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Saw your post about wiring issues --

My Ford Windstar stalls, battery light comes on, check engine light -- all the same as your problem. They have replaced my intake valves and thought it was fixed.

Did the wiring repair fix it? Help!

pcheney@trz.com

12Ounce
01-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Another thing that will cause gauges to go crazy, accompanied with stalling, is the "PCM power relay" getting worn contacts. There will be no CEL code with this event.

fullshift
01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a 02 windstar I bought 2nd hand. The comment "Second shop visit dealer reprogramed computer with updated engine management software release". Do all 02 windstars need this update and what does it change. My dealer tells me that there is no update for the computer available. Itis a fixed part and no modification is possible.
Thanks
Darren

LeSabre97mint
01-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I have a 02 windstar I bought 2nd hand. The comment "Second shop visit dealer reprogramed computer with updated engine management software release". Do all 02 windstars need this update and what does it change. My dealer tells me that there is no update for the computer available. Itis a fixed part and no modification is possible.
Thanks
Darren

Darren

The computer can be updated! This is done a lot. Either the dealer doesn't want to deal with you or doesn't know what he's talking about.

Call another dealer!

Regards

Dan

fullshift
01-15-2006, 09:50 PM
So what is the computer update for ex. better gas mileage. My van seems to be running well.17 mpg city 23 mpg highway. Should I try to get this update?
Thanks
Darren

cdnpilot
05-10-2007, 09:04 PM
We have had the exact same problem with our 2001 Windstar that has 110,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer and at first it was showing a code for EGR flow exceesive and lean mixture. So I relaced the EGR flow sensor and the EGR valve just to be on the safe side. This did nothing other than cost me 300. plus my time. Now the check engine light stays off while the van does the same thing. The mechanic then told me it was the Idle Air Sensor and so I replaced that, another 200. and again the van would stall shortly after the temp guage dropped to cold unless I hit the gas pedal and put the van in neutral.
I will follow your advice and replace the temp sensor next and see what happens! Thanks so much everyone for your input!
Grant

acaiguy
01-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has found a complete resolution to this yet... I had a friend of mine tell me to replace the plenum gaskets in the intake. That the gaskets around the bolts would crack and cause intake leaks. The problem is that it will code on the O2 sensors. My wife just called complaining about it stalling, so I will be heading out to replace the gaskets. If it works I will post the gasket kit used and how difficult it was to do.

12Ounce
01-25-2011, 10:03 AM
We may be getting lost in "semantics". The PCM can be "reprogrammed" ... and there has been more than one "reprogramming" issued. But it may also be true that there is no engineering "update/upgrade" ... i.e., the original PCM design may still be with us ... the part number may not have changed.

b

Add your comment to this topic!