Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear disk brakes 88 legend

gs11x
12-13-2003, 07:39 PM
does anyone have any tips on retracting the rear breack pistons so I can replace the pad? I can get everything apart but I can not get the pistons back far enough to install them new pads. can't use a c clamp like i do up front becase of the e-brake on the rears. Help!
thanks,
Dan

BullShifter
12-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I can't remember if the pistons need to be turned while pushing in. If thats the case then you should honestly use the right tool, I think a parts store should be able to rent it out or something. You can also try LARGE channel lock pliers - squeeze/turn - squeeze/turn - etc.

92accordex5spd
07-28-2004, 02:58 PM
i could be wrong, but i would say almost for sure you have to turn them in. most hondas, especially from that generation have turn in rear disks. Good luck finding the tool to do it without going to a dealer and spending an assload of money. i went to advance and napa and had them look at me like i was an idiot. but it is possible to do it without the tool. I have a 92 honda accord ex, and i ran into the same problem when i did my back brakes. u need to turn them clockwise while applying pressure. you can turn them all u want and if you aren't applying the right pressure, they won't go anywhere. i got one of mine to turn right in, but the other one needed to be taken off and put in a vice so i could get the leverage to get the pressure i needed. good luck, and hey, u could always spend a couple hundred bucks and get new calipers

Add your comment to this topic!