Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

pearl clear

weaponCIVIC
12-13-2003, 05:48 PM
does anyone know of a website to get pearl clear coats, or..like a pearl powder to mix into the clear?

im planning to make a chevy cameo, tamiya mica red, then put clear pearl flames so there just visible...what you think?

jdmhotrod
12-13-2003, 06:22 PM
thats a cool idea i love ghost flames. i don't know what web site you can get it from but testors makes a pearl clear coat, you can peobly pick it up at wal-mart or something.

Robert.

weaponCIVIC
12-13-2003, 07:02 PM
cool ill try to find it, so far ive had no luck.

nis.k.a.
12-13-2003, 07:06 PM
The Testors Pearl coat SUCKS ASS. I personally would never recommend it after seeing it sprayed first hand.

jdmhotrod
12-13-2003, 07:18 PM
oh, i'v never tried it just seen it on the rack at the store

nis.k.a.
12-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Yeah man....I ruined a beautiful (if I may say so myself) orange paint with that GD pearl coat. ARRRGGHHH....

73superduty
12-13-2003, 08:20 PM
I've used the Testors pearl gloss coat over two of my paint jobs and have been extremely happy with the way it turned out.
Results do vary as it seems.
Chris

weaponCIVIC
12-13-2003, 08:34 PM
i went to the testors website, i cant find any pearl clears.....

86_SR5
12-13-2003, 08:58 PM
i went to the testors website, i cant find any pearl clears.....
LHS and Wal-mart are your best bets for it.

nis.k.a.
12-13-2003, 09:22 PM
My biggest gripe is that it didn't even resemble pearl. It was more like pearly flake coat. Not at all what I expected. I suppose results do vary.

scaleracecars
12-13-2003, 09:37 PM
does anyone know of a website to get pearl clear coats, or..like a pearl powder to mix into the clear?

im planning to make a chevy cameo, tamiya mica red, then put clear pearl flames so there just visible...what you think?

Why not use tamiya white pearl?
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com

weaponCIVIC
12-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Why not use tamiya white pearl?
David
http://www.scaleracecars.com

because i want it to be clear......not white.

jswillmon
12-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Just a suggestion...I have never tried or seen it done before...but what about some kind of pearl fingernail polish. I'm sure they make some kind of clear polish with a pearl effect that you could thin down and apply with an airbrush.
Like I said, I don't know but it might work

malsheem
12-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Black Gold has HOK pearl flakes that you can mix into clear. Never tried them, but seen other Black Gold/HOK paints, and they look great, so I would imagine these are good, too.

https://secure14.websitecomplete.com/blackgoldweb/shop/showDept.asp?dept=33

weaponCIVIC
12-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Just a suggestion...I have never tried or seen it done before...but what about some kind of pearl fingernail polish. I'm sure they make some kind of clear polish with a pearl effect that you could thin down and apply with an airbrush.
Like I said, I don't know but it might work

acctually i read up on some european guy who does this, his paint look amazing, think i might look into that.

weaponCIVIC
12-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Black Gold has HOK pearl flakes that you can mix into clear. Never tried them, but seen other Black Gold/HOK paints, and they look great, so I would imagine these are good, too.

https://secure14.websitecomplete.com/blackgoldweb/shop/showDept.asp?dept=33

i would get HOK but they dont ship out to canada

jswillmon
12-14-2003, 12:09 AM
I have heard from several different people that they use nail polish on their models, and they always look good. Just never seen nail polish used for a model in this way. I'm sure if you found the right kind it would look good.

Of course you could always go to the nearest Auto Body shop and try to buy a small can of pearl, but that shit gets expensive!

malsheem
12-14-2003, 12:40 AM
i would get HOK but they dont ship out to canada

Ah yes, that would be a problem. You might want to try Gunze Mr. Color pearls (#151-#154). The pearl is already mixed into a clear. I have the red and blue pearl, and they look real nice over a black color.

If you really want the HOK pearls, I'm probably going to place an order with Black Gold soon, since the local dealer doesn't have any of the colors I want. I could get it for you and ship it out to Canada, if you're interested.

lotus_man
12-14-2003, 06:26 AM
You need to look up a product called 'Pearl-X'. It's great stuff, they do many different colored powders, interfearence powders, flake etc. It mixes up with Tamiya clear, and their clear colors and sprays brilliantly.

RallyRaider
12-14-2003, 07:03 AM
GSI Creos (Gunze Sangyo) make a range of pearls. They are a clear lacquer with 'pearl' in suspension. Rainbow 10 stock it and will ship worldwide.

scaleracecars
12-14-2003, 08:27 AM
because i want it to be clear......not white.
Is Tamiya White pearl a white pearl in a clear carrier or a white paint with white pearl?

weaponCIVIC
12-14-2003, 03:03 PM
thanks for all the ideas everybody, i am going to see if i can find any of these.

malsheem: i will just try a different product, but thanks anyways!

dag65
12-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Testors works well , if you are looking for some other colors and such , go to blackgold.com, they sell dry pearls and flakes in many colors, the ultra mini flake is the best size for models and their pearls are of very high quality. By purchaing dry pearls you can mix them into whatever paint system you are using. I have used some in DUplicolor clear that I sprayed into a jar and applied with my airbrush.

There was also an article in Scale Auto a few issues back that discussed PEarlEx powders, thet looked great and are supposed to be available at Hobby Lobby and Michaels type places

VnnyDaPooh
12-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Krylon makes a Pearl Clear Coat. It comes in a spray can. I just bought it the other day. Havn't tried it yet, so i don't know how good it is. But from the looks of an initial spray, it looks cool. I'm planning to use it on a black to give it a pearl black color.

RallyRaider
12-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Is Tamiya White pearl a white pearl in a clear carrier or a white paint with white pearl?

I think it is the latter, white base with white pearl.

Add your comment to this topic!